Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Real Presence is Not Make Believe

I thought I would share Hawaii Catholic Herald columnist Kathleen Choi's column Only Make Believe:
When it comes to distinguishing between the Catholic Mass and Protestant services, most non-Christians suffer from similar ignorance. To them, the Mass is the processions, robes, and candles they see in Vatican news clips or movies about the Mafia. However, Episcopal and Lutheran services are equally stately. Nothing in the mere appearance of our rituals helps non-Christians understand, for example, the difference between Catholic and Protestant Communion...

2 comments:

xxxxxx said...

It's funny, we had an art class hosted by a community church...I walked by the "worship space" and did not recognize it as being one...HUGE bongo drums. Scary!!!!

It was the second time I have been in a non Catholic church that i can recall...what's astounding is it's LACK of presence...if you know what I mean....

EC Gefroh said...

I had a similar experience recently when we attended the Honor Society induction ceremony in a Lutheran Church.