Friday, October 12, 2007

What the Saints Have to Say about - Conformity to God's Will

God
If I want only pure water, what does it matter to me whether it be brought in a vase of gold or of glass? What is it to me whether the will of God be presented to me in tribulation or consolation, since I desire and seek only the Divine Will?
- St. Francis de Sales
The accomplishment of the divine will is the sole end for which we are in the world.
- St. John Eudes
To do the will of God man must despise his own; the more he dies to himself, the more he will live to God.
- St. Peter Claver
Entire conformity and resignation to the divine will is truly a road on which we cannot go wrong, and it is the only road that leads us to taste and enjoy that peace which sensual and earthly men know nothing of.
- St. Philip Neri
As in heaven Thy will is punctually performed, so may it be done on earth by all creatures, particularly in me and by me.
- St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Thou alone knowest best and what is for my good. As I am not my own but altogether Thine, so neither do I desire that my will be done, but Thine, nor will I have any will but Thine.
- St. Francis Borgia.

From The Wisdom of the Saints by Jill Haak Adels

2 comments:

Micki said...

Great quotes Esther. Must try to put some into practice. :-)

EC Gefroh said...

I know what you mean Micki :-)