Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What the Saints Have to Say About - Sacrifice

GB
When we do something we dislike, let us say to God: 'May God, I offer you this in honor of the moment when you died for me.'
- St. John Vianney
He, the most beatific and most joyful, did make Himself most wretched in order that through His infinite suffering He might redeem man and save him from everlasting and unspeakable pain.
- Blessed Angela of Foligno
I will attempt day by day to break my will into little pieces. I want to do God's holy will, not my own.
- Gabriel Possenti
I thank God that now when I preach I shall be able to say instead of 'dear brethren,' 'my fellow lepers.
- Blessed Damien of Moloka'i
Christ one day said to St. John of the Cross, 'John, what recompense dost thou ask for thy labors?' He answered: 'Lord, I ask no other recompense than to suffer and be condemned for Thee."
- John of the Cross
I began to understand that the love of the sacred Heart without a spirit of sacrifice is but empty illusion.
- Bl. Maria Droste Zu Vischering
It's a form of trade, you see. I ask God for souls, and pay him by giving up everything else.
- St. John Bosco
How terrible, I thought, that no act of love is ever made in hell! And I told God that I was ready to go there myself, if it pleased him to contrive, in that way, that for all eternity there would be one loving soul in that abode of blasphemy.
- St. Therese of Lisieux

From The Wisdom of the Saints by Jill Haak Adels

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to remember to do a lot of sacrificing prayers during the day, which is why I am excited to soon get the sacrifice beads of St Therese...

hugs!

Tracy said...

Excellent!! I too need to work on more sacrificing prayers. great post!

EC Gefroh said...

Me too Heather and Tracy!