Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Recommended Reading - Treasure in Clay

fs
One of the two books I purchased from The Antique Mall Books was the autobiography of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, Treasure in Clay. I had previously read the biography by Thomas Reeve entitled America's Bishop. I thought that was an excellent book. I also thought I had learned as much as I could about Fulton Sheen by reading that one book.

I was wrong. Archbishop Sheen's autobiography, written of course by the archbishop himself, is so engrossing, and so hard to put down. Let me put it this way, blogging? I haven't had time to do my usual blogging (although you may not have even noticed) Who has time for blogging, when I have the next chapter of the book to look forward to?

This book should be recommended reading for any teen or man considering the priesthood as a vocation. Archbishop Sheen was a priest first and foremost. He loved Christ and he loved the priesthood. That is quite evident from everything he writes in this book. And, his vocation began by his parents:
"Clay has to be molded, and that is done primarily in the family, which is more sacred than the state..."

"...The molding of the clay was done by great sacrifices on the part of my father and my mother, who would deny themselves every personal comfort and luxury in order that their sons might be well clothed and well cared for. Our family life was simple and the atmosphere of our home Christian. Grace was said before and after each meal; when we had visitors, none of us was permitted to sit at table without wearing a coat and tie; the Rosary was said every evening; the priest so the cathedral visited the home once every week; and visits of old country cousins were very frequent."
With regard to his ordination:
"On Saturday, September 20, 1919, I was ordained a priest, by the grace of God, in the cathedral at Peoria. The stirrings which the Holy Spirit put in my soul in the early days were now fulfilled-or were they? I was now a priest. Yes, But is not that just half the story? I never asked myself that question the day I was ordained. In due time, and not in any easy way, I was to learn that a priest is also a victim..."
Later on in the book he goes into more detail on the sufferings that made him not only priest but victim as well.

The following is about bishops:
"The church is always judged by the bishops; that is the lesson of the Book of Revelation. And in many instances in which St. John writes about these churches, he said: 'I know your works," that is your administration, finances, social service and schools. I know all of these- then there comes a 'but'...What was forgotten was love of Christ, or orthodoxy or self-denial. I once heard of a preacher who was developing the theme about the three young the three young men who were called by Our Lord. Each of them said: 'I will go, but...' and then each gave an excuse. The preacher ended up by saying: 'It seems to me that many people are going to Hell on their 'buts' Well, here there is a 'but', such as lost love, a cold church or allowing false prophets to teach. The only two churches that were approved without any criticism were the churches that suffered.

Today bishops are often criticized for a wrong reason. In the Book of Revelation, we are condemned for want of spirituality. The danger today may be the primacy of administration over love. Few who criticize the bishops know what goes on in our hearts, our worries and our heartaches...
It is a small wonder to me that this man of God will someday be proclaimed a saint in the Roman Catholic church. His love of Christ and the way he lived his life in generosity to the less fortunate, the people he brought into the Catholic church are just a few examples of his saintliness.

In speaking with a friend today, she mentioned that our mutual friend Fr. Edwin Duffy knew Archbishop Sheen personally. (Just so you know, Fr. Duffy also knew Gil Hodges!! And, Richard Harris, the actor). She asked him what was he like. She shared it with me but I will ask Father Duffy myself so I can be accurate. I am very curious to know as I admire Archbishop Sheen tremendously.

I do hope you are able to obtain and read this marvelous book, especially, if you are a priest.

6 comments:

Kathy ~TOG said...

I love Archbishop Sheen. He has been, and continues to be, an inspiration to me.

I love seeing his past shows!

Michelle said...

Esther, a few years ago I *discovered* Fulton Sheen. Have you read Lift Up Your Heart? Excellent read! His style of writing is if he's actually speaking to you and it's utterly timeless.

Michele said...

i have 5 free hly cards to give away!

Jean Heimann said...

I have read this book and a few of Archbishop Sheen's other books. I love this book and Archbishop Sheen. He was such a powerful speaker and a gifted writer! But most important of all he was an amazing witness for the Lord and brought so many people to the faith.

When I was growing up, our whole family )all seven of us) sat around the TV after supper and watched him in Black and white, later in color. It was required TV watching in our home.

Bishop Sheen was from the Peoria diocese in IL, where I was a parishioner before moving to KS. He also attended college in my hometown.

I have written about him in my book and on my blog. I pray for his intercession daily. He has a special place in my heart.

I highly recommend all his books.

You did a great job on this review and I can understand why you wouldn't blog as much as you usual when reading this book (though I certainly didn't notice). I could hardly put it down!

Anonymous said...

One of my favourite books..on my profile!

EC Gefroh said...

Me too Kathy!

Michelle, I may have it on my book shelf. I will have to look for it. I have a wonderful book The Quotable Fulton Sheen.

Thanks DM.

How interesting Jean! BTW, thanks.