Monday, June 18, 2007

St. Josemaria Escriva' - On Charity

The following is from The Way.
1. You are hurt by your neighbor's lack of charity toward you. Think how God must be hurt by your lack of charity-of love-toward him!

2. Never think badly of anyone, not even if the words or conduct of the person in question give you good grounds for doing so.

3. Don't make negative criticism. If you can't praise, say nothing.

4. Never speak badly of your brother, not even when you have plenty of reasons for doing so. Go first to the tabernacle, and then go to the priest, your father, and also tell him what is bothering you. And to no one else.

5. Gossip is trash that soils and hinders the apostolate. It goes against charity, takes away strength, takes away peace, and makes one lose his union with God.

6. If you have so many defects, why are you surprised to find defects in others?

7. After seeing how many people waste their lives...(talking)... I can better appreciate how necessary and lovable silence is.

And I can well understand Lord, why you will make us account for every idle word.

8. When those who are not supposed to sit in judgment do so, they very easily end up as gossiping old maids.

9. How the injustice of the "just" offends God, how it harms many souls-and how it can sanctify others!

10. Let us be slow to judge.

11. Force yourself, if necessary, always to forgive those who offend you, from the very first moment. For the greatest injury or offense you can suffer from them is nothing compared to what God has forgiven you.

9 comments:

Easter Almuena said...

Thank you, Esther. This is a great reminder especially as we start a new week.

We miss you. When are you coming back?

Love,
Easter

xxxxxx said...

I love the book The Way.

Alexandra said...

Thanks for this...another book added to my list. :)

EC Gefroh said...

Ladies, I highly recommend the book The Way. I am reading my mom's book which contains a trilogy of St. JME's books, The Way, The Furrow, The Forge.

Easter: I'll be back before you know it. This vacation has gone all too fast.

Mark Tan said...

I love St Josemaria Escriva. He's a great saint.. The Way.. I printed out the whole book thru the internet as well..

Anonymous said...

Just love St Escriva!

EC Gefroh said...

Mark and Jackie, I am glad I discovered his writing. I hope to find the Way in the original Spanish to read.

Anonymous said...

Try www.escrivaworks.org - you can read all his published writings, in several languages.
Or learn more about him at www.josemariaescriva.info

EC Gefroh said...

A., I've added that site to my side bar. Mahalo for the reminder.