Tuesday, June 19, 2007

How I Started Blogging

Laurie of Seaglass Hearts tagged me for this new carnival/meme.

How did you start blogging?
I would always share emails of interest with a list of people who were interested in receiving them and I in turn would receive interesting emails from them. I wanted to share them with a bigger audience especially when it came to Catholic articles, prayers, etc. I didn't think I was getting that many readers on my website so I decided to try a blog.

Did you intend to have a blog with a big following? If so, how did you go about getting it?
No, I knew readership would start out small. I started the blog mainly for family, Catholic homeschoolers and friends.

Getting a big following? I don't know if I can say that. I really have no idea how many people read my blog regularly. However, I've met so many nice people and have become quite friendly with lots of other bloggers. I even met one in person, right Fr. Daren?

What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?
I hope to make everyone who reads it strive for holiness for the love of God, in their own state in life. I hope they do this even with baby steps. That is the main reason I post spiritual quotes, etc. that I find help me. I feel we can help each other grow in sanctity.

Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?
Well not really. However, at first I would post critical posts about people who I felt weren't being truly orthodox or those I felt weren't being patriotic. I don't do that anymore. I have learned that I'd better worry about myself first and not so much about judging the other guy, especially if that "guy" is a priest. I try to post entries of a positive nature.

What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?
I wish I knew that I wasn't permitted to post complete articles without the permission of the original source. I have learned to just post a teaser and to always give credit to the source.

Do you make money with your blog?
Oh no. I do this as a little personal ministry...if you will...and just fun :-)

Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?
Yes they know but they don't visit it often. The reason may be because I usually share what's on it verbally.

What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?
1. Like Laurie posted on her responses, post regularly.
2. If you are not sure whether or not to post a particular post, especially if it is critical or negative, don't post it. That way, you won't regret it.

For this one, I tag Chris, Jean, the Curt Jester, Lana and Fr. Daren

5 comments:

Rev. Daren J. Zehnle, J.C.L., K.C.H.S. said...

Done.

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thanks for sharing that, Esther. Very nice!

God bless,
Donna

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Jean Heimann said...

I'm done. Thanks for the tag, Esther!

EC Gefroh said...

Okay Father and Jean. I will be reading your responses.

Donna: Thank you.

I hope you give it a try Jackie.