Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November is National Adoption Month

Prolife Activist Joey


I don't think of our son Joey as being adopted. He is just "our son". For those of you who didn't know our story, my husband and I adopted our dear son 12 years ago from Japan. Joey was then "Ma-chan" and only 5 years old. He was also the cutest little kodomo (child in Japanese)we had ever met!

We were open about him being adopted from the very start. I guess that was inevitable since he was an older child.

I sometimes regret not being able to adopt more children, either internationally or domestically. But it was God's will for us.

I really hope and pray more and more families consider adoption or being foster parents. My heart breaks especially when I think of teenagers who are in our foster care systems. Some of them become adults without ever having a loving home or parents to call their own.

It is therefore with lots of dismay that I learn from Heidi in her post over at Extraordinary Moms Network of the growing danger of anti-adoption advocacy. She has written an article for Catholic Exchange and you can read it here

Please take the time to read it.

Remember, "adoption is the loving option".





8 comments:

Clare said...

Adoption is something my family often talks about (it's something I would love to do personally, but as I'm only recently graduated from high school)... we'd particularly love to adopt a special needs child. My young brother is a special needs child, and we have such a love for those dear little people.

At this point it's still just a question... where is God calling us?

I'm sorry to hear that anti-adoption sentiments have worked their way into Catholic circles... though since it's coming from the National Catholic Register, I'm not so very surprised.

EC Gefroh said...

Actually, I believe the National Catholic Reporter is the liberal one. Now, I have to go check out that.
BTW, I really hope one day you can adopt.

Clare said...

You're right, Esther. My mistake. I need to read and type a little more carefully, I think!

Spence Ohana said...

Wow I did not know your son was adopted, what a wonderful story. Our daughter's best friend next door was adopted. Our neighbor worked in the foster care system and found out about her being born to a drug mother with no family wanting her. Our neighbors just loosing a pregnancy/child at about 6 months along, felt God was calling them to now care for this lil girl.

I also have a girlfriend who adopted a baby girl in May from a young college student who just couldn't provide for her.

And lastly one of my close friend's sister is about to travel to Russia next week to adopt a baby girl! :)

Jean Heimann said...

Esther,

I would have liked to adopt at least one child, but it wasn't God's will for us.

Thanks for sharing your adoption story -- it's really inspiring.

God bless!

Charlotte said...

I read that article you linked to, Esther, and I was outraged at the comments left for the author. I am adopted, and I also assisted my half-sister in placing a baby for adoption. The differences between the 2 scenarios (1969 vs. 1996) are astounding. My husband has told me I should write about these experiences, and I think that I will.

Tracy said...

Thank you Esther for this post, my husband and I just became licensed foster parents:)

EC Gefroh said...

Mamselle :-)

That is so wonderful Melissa! My sister and b-i-l are still waiting for their baby from China and it's been two years.

Jean, thank you for sharing that with me.

Oh, I look forward to reading it Charlotte.