Monday, March 24, 2008

Sacramentals in the Home - A Catholic Tradition

Yesterday at the Easter Sunday Mass, I filled our Holy Water bottles with the Easter Water blessed at the Easter Vigil Mass the night before. I don't remember where I first learned about bringing home Easter Water on Easter Sunday. I believe I learned this from my mother but this is a tradition in our family now.

Tradition is an important part of the Catholic faith. Not only do we as Catholics continue the traditions passed on by the early Church, but also traditions passed down from our own families.

My husband and I grew up in homes filled with statues and pictures of saints, crucifixes, and other blessed and holy objects. There was no mistaking our home as belonging to a Catholic family. Well, that and the fact that there were so many children growing up there too. :-)

Even before our son joined our family, our home as a married couple was filled with the richness of Catholic holy items. These holy items are referred to by the Catholic Church as sacramentals.

The following is from the Catechism of the Catholic Church with regard to sacramentals:
667 "Holy Mother Church has, moreover, instituted sacramentals. These are sacred signs which bear a resemblance to the sacraments. They signify effects, particularly of a spiritual nature, which are obtained through the intercession of the Church. By them men are disposed to receive the chief effect of the sacraments, and various occasions in life are rendered holy...
The use of sacramentals enriches our spiritual life through graces obtained when we use them and as a constant reminder to us of Christ and His holy church.

holy water Holy Water

The Holy Water we keep in our home is one such sacramental. We have a little Holy Water font by the front door. We bless ourselves, each other and our pets when we leave the house. We have a supply of bottled Holy Water for the family's use throughout the year.

rosaryRosaries

Each member of the family should have his or her own rosary. However, if your family is like our family, a multitude of rosaries can be found in the household. Just to give you a little glimpse into our Rosary filled home: My husband and I have a beautiful rosary given to us by the Franciscan Sisters of St. Elizabeth when we got married. We have the Pro-Life Rosary with the baby in each bead given to me by a good friend. We have the Rosary to commemorate the 90th anniversary of Fatima. We have finger rosaries, plastic rosaries, corded rosaries, etc. But we usually have our own favorites when we pray the Holy Rosary together in the evenings.

Brown Scapular
Scapulars

There are different kinds of scapulars, with the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the Green Scapular being the most popular kinds of devotions by Catholics.
Some scapulars have privileges and indulgences attached to wearing them, but like any sacramental (holy water, blessed candles, etc.), scapulars are not magic; their efficacy depends on the proper intentions and faith of the wearer. Only by following through on the promises one makes when becoming invested can the benefits associated with them be had. They are best thought of as signs of a commitment to do certain things and of one's being a part of a religious community. They act as reminders, too, of these things they signify and of the Saints who are parts of the religious community in question. They are reminders to behave with holiness.

Joey Easter 08
Blessed Candles

Most of our blessed candles were blessed at Candlemas otherwise known as the Feast of the Presentation of our Lord. We also have our blessed Advent Candles from past years and our blessed wedding candle, along with other blessed candles received during different Mass celebrations such as the Easter Vigil. Now, you don't need a candle as large as the one seen in the photo above of Joey lighting the Easter Candle at yesterday's Easter Sunday Mass, but blessed candles are also a good sacramental to keep in a Catholic home. There is a story of the 3 days of darkness that I remember reading. It says that the only candle light that will be able to shine forth will be from blessed candles. I don't know if that is true or not but if that is the case, we will be well prepared.
blessed Salt
Blessed Salt

We have our Hawaiian Sea Salt blessed by our dear friend Fr. Edwin Duffy. I use it only when necessary, for example as part of our Epiphany House Blessing. My mom utilizes blessed salt when she cooks something she is not sure is very fresh, as a way of protecting the family members who will partake of the food. One of my friends sprinkles blessed salt around the windows and doors of her home as protection for her family and home. Neither my mom nor my friend use blessed salt as a magical way of protection but rather rely on God's grace to assist them.
There is a renewed interest today in the ancient sacramental of blessed salt, especially by charismatics, in healing and deliverance situations, etc. To understand its proper use and its efficacy, it would be helpful to review the Scriptural symbolism and its history, since Vatican II urges us to participate “intelligently and actively” in the use of sacramentals, just as in the use of Sacraments.
Read the rest here

The other sacramentals or blessed objects that are in our home include numerous crucifixes, holy images of Our Lady's different apparitions, Jesus (Sacred Heart and Divine Mercy), relics, statues of the saints, blessed oil, the Holy Family, blessed medals, etc.

Keeping sacramentals in the home and using them to remind us of God's love and assistance is a beautiful tradition to pass on to your own children. Even though our son is a teen, he would never consider being without his Brown Scapular, Crucifix or Miraculous Medal.

To learn more about sacramentals and the proper way of disposing of sacramentals, be sure to visit Fisheaters

11 comments:

Michele said...

i have a lot of Sacramentals in my home. I am glad that i do:)

Mary B said...

I love my sacramentals! I did not get Holy Water yet but will. Our choir directory has a few he brings out to match the scripture like Holy Water from the Jordan that we pass around on the Baptism of the Lord.
But my grandmother was a millgirl/maid second generation imigrant. I remember her hiding certain saint statues in her drawers until she had the answer she wanted! But she faithfully said her Rosary every morning in sight of everyone. 30 days of petition followed by 30 of thanksgiving even if an answer didn't seem obvious.
It was interesting to 'see' the growth toward true faith away from superstition.

teresa_anawim2 said...

I too have sacramentals in my home and I always love it when my eye comes to rest on one just when I need a reminder...whether of comfort or of assurance , etc. Just about every room has a statue.

My favorite is the crucifix over my bed.

Anonymous said...

Great post..thankyou..

TradMom said...

Interesting post. I did not know much about blessed salt, so thanks. I'm a Catholic convert of 9 years (this Easter) and always learning.
Mrs. R.
momundermary.blogspot.com

gemoftheocean said...

I loved this post. I've got any number of rosaries, some of my own, some from mother and grandmother. I hate carrying a purse, but every one of my aunts could readily pull a rosary out when need be (my mom too.)

It was always a danger of giving my mom a really expensive rosary, I think she left them in all 50 states.

EC Gefroh said...

They are a comfort are they not Marilena?

Mary B: what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Ours too Teresa.

Thanks Jackie!

Thanks for stopping by Mrs. R.

Karen, that is so funny. Recently, my mom was so sad that she lost the prolife rosary with the little babies in the bead. Then she called me laughing that she had found that rosary as well as all the other rosaries she had lost. They apparently fell from her lap while she was driving.

Inkspotz.ca said...

I like this post because it helps me see things from a perspective that isn't my wife's. I am not complaining about my wife, it's just that we have known each other for so long and we have that almost magical ability to read each other without speaking as much or in as much detail. So, I just finished writing about Beliefs and beliefs when it comes to religious items and came across your blog. This helped me get some concepts and ideas that the 'invisible' communication system my wife and I have (that I wouldn't trade) didn't quite address. Plus we have three little girls running around and its hard to hear anyway - haha. I wrote about how my wife and children who are Catholic have a different way of thinking about things and set of beliefs than I due to the fact that I am not Catholic. Long story short (oops, too late), we, as a family, have been talking about religious icons and statues and how they mean different things for different people, but can still be very powerful and meaningful to all. Being an advocate of both animals and the surroundings of us all (environment) I started connecting my values and beliefs to those of St. Francis today. I've seen these statues in homes and yards (mostly gardens) and now again have something to connect my beliefs to my family's Beliefs. We definitely do not have all of the sacramentals in our home that you have on this post, but even a single one like the St. Francis connection I made above has given us as a family a way to connect rather than simply tolerate (and that word often has a negative association - but I don't mean it badly). I don't know why I felt compelled to write so much, but if it was any shorter it would just be 'thank you for this great post!' Be well.

EC Gefroh said...

Aloha Inkspotz.
Glad you stopped by to comment. Ah, you mentioned St. Francis! One of my favorite saints. I always pray for his and the intercession of St. Martin de Porres when one of our pets or an animal needs help. Our humane society here, definitely not a religious organization, has a beautiful statue of St. Francis on their grounds.
As for gardens: Does your wife have a Mary's Garden? That is also another lovely tradition where you grow flowers that somehow sybolize the Blessed Mother.
I stopped by your blog quickly but want to visit at length later today.

Anonymous said...

Oh please ask your friend where she found the pro-life rosary. I would love to have one to pray with my kids. We have lots of rosaries, and lots of pro-life articles, and lots of other sacramentals. That would be a simply wonderful addition to our ever-growing collection.

EC Gefroh said...

Amy, the prolife rosary can be obtained at http://www.rosaryoftheunborn.com/
God bless,