Friday, March 14, 2008

Fine Art Friday

Ghent Altarpiece
Adam and Eve
Queen of Heaven
Saint Gabriel
Choir of Angels
red and white
Today, I thought we would spotlight a Masterpiece instead of the Master Artist. It is the famous Ghent Altarpiece or Adoration of the Mystic Lamb .
The altarpiece consists of a total of twenty-four compartmented scenes, which make up two views, open and closed, which are changed by moving the hinged outer wings. The upper register (row) of the opened view shows Christ the King (but see below) between the Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. The insides of the wings represent angels singing and making music, and on the outside Adam and Eve. The lower register of the central panel shows the adoration of the Lamb of God, with several groups in attendance and streaming in to worship, overseen by the dove representing the Holy Spirit. On week days the wings were closed, showing the Annunciation of Mary and donor portraits of Joost Vijdt and his wife Lysbette Borluut.
Source: Wikipedia
As the defining monument of the "new realism" of Northern Renaissance art, the Ghent Altarpiece was regarded as both the foundation of a distinguished tradition, and an exemplary achievement to challenge all later artists. In 1495, an early visitor named Hieronymus Münzer justly described it as encompassing the whole art of painting.

The discovery in 1823 of a rhymed quatrain on the frame of the altarpiece confirmed that it was begun by Hubert van Eyck, and even described him as greater than his more famous brother Jan, who completed the work upon Hubert's death in 1426. No one has ever convincingly distinguished their respective shares in this painting. Dedicated on May 6, 1432 in the Church of Saint John, Ghent (now the Cathedral of Saint Bavo), the work was installed above an altar in a chantry chapel founded by the wealthy patrician Joos Vijd and his wife Elizabeth Borluut.
To learn more about this intricate work of art, visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art the source of the above article.

5 comments:

Marie said...

What beautiful pieces of Art and many thanks for the explanation.

You know I used to love the Sister Wendy show where she discussed Art do you know it? I wish they would bring it back! I may have to try and buy the DVD's of her show. I loved it.


Peace & love to you my friend,

Marie xoxoxoo

teresa_anawim2 said...

I always look forward to this Friday 'educational post' which I enjoy so much...please continue FAF!

Easter Almuena said...

Absolutely stunning, Esther!

Do come back to A Tribute to Our Priests for an update on TJ's interview with Fr. Peter.

Everyone is talking about the dinner with Bishop Larry this Sat. Is Joey excited? Jack will be there. :-)

Alexandra said...

Ohhh, the Ghent Altarpiece was one of my favorites when I was little. My mom is/was a big art history buff, and since we were overseas in Germany she took me touring and to museums a lot! To get me interested she would show me all the high realism painters - dutch and N. Renaissance. It is fun for children to look at all the details...those angels use to freak me out. I can't remember why they have all those funny expressions, kind of like naughty children.

I still like it...and I love the details you chose! I'm going to have to use this in a post.

EC Gefroh said...

Marie, whatever happened to Sister Wendy? I used to love to watch her.
Peace and love to you to my friend.

Thanks for the encouragement Teresa!

Thanks Easter, I did. Joey excited? Well, nervous is more like it :-)

You are so lucky Alexandra!! Wow!