Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Chaldean archbishop of Mosul - Martyr for the Faith

Archbishop Faraj Rahho
Mahalo to Fr. Z for the article link.
The Chaldean archbishop of Mosul is dead. Archbishop Faraj Rahho was kidnapped last February 29 after the Stations of the Cross. His kidnappers gave word of his death, indicating to the mediators where they could recover the body of the 67-year-old prelate. "It is a heavy Cross for our Church, ahead of Easter", Bishop Rabban of Arbil tells AsiaNews in response to the news. Leaders of the Chaldean Church, including Bishop Shlemon Warduni, brought the body to the hospital in Mosul to ascertain the causes, still unknown, of the archbishop's death. The funeral will be held tomorrow in the nearby city of Karamles. Archbishop Rahho will be buried near Fr Ragheed, his priest and secretary killed by a terrorist brigade on June 3, 2007, while leaving the church after celebrating Mass.
Asia News Article

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord and may Your perpetual light shine upon him. May Archbishop Rahho rest in peace. Amen.

2 comments:

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

This is so sad. I don't understand it but I saw nothing about it on the main news tonight (I don't usually watch and I didn't see all-but it wasn't in the headlines).
May God welcome him home.

EC Gefroh said...

I'm surprised WS. I read it on some blogs but it broke my heart.