Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Spiritual Help From Jesus - The Wiles of the Devil

The Temptation of Christ
The Temptation of Christ
"...The Devil, that old enemy of yours, tries by every means he can to obstruct your desire to do good, and to lure you away from:

- any kind of devout exercise; honouring the Saints, for example,

- devout meditation upon my sufferings,

- profitable recalling of your sins,

- keeping watch over your heart,

- and your firm resolve to advance in holiness.

Many are the evil thoughts he slips into your mind, to fill you with weariness and disgust, hoping so to entice you from prayer and reading good books.

A humble confession is abhorrent to him, and he would make you give upon Communion if he could. Do not believe him; pay no attention to him, however, often he spreads out his crafty nets to catch you.

When he suggests evil and filthy thoughts, tell him they are his , not yours.

Speak to him like this:

- 'You filthy spirit, be off with you!

- Blush, you wretch! How utterly filthy you are putting stuff like that in my ears!

- Away from me, you traitor, you monster of evil, you shall have no hold upon me.

Jesus will be beside me, like a valiant warrior, and you will stand there confounded. I would rather die, rather undergo any kind of torment, than give in to you. So keep quiet and hold your tongue; I'm not going to listen to you any more, however often you try annoying me...' "
- From the Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis. Chapter 6: On the Testing of a True Lover.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Esther:)

a brilliant reflection and so very true. My Spiritual Director once told me to never engage in an argument with the devil, he'll win. The devil is much smarter and more cunning than I will ever be, thank goodness.

This wonderful Priest also instructed me whenever I am undergoing temptation..even a temptation to be lazy to simply say a Hail Mary and to concentrate one's thoughts on Our Lady and the devil will flee.

Sad to say that these days, it is as if the devil does not exist as sin is explained away as 'lifestyle choices' or 'freedom's'.

I have yet to hear a Priest talk about the seriousness of sin.

Much to ponder:)

Peace, JOY & Love to you:)

Marie xoxoxoo

Anonymous said...

I like the advice of St John Vianney: turn the temptation back on the devil. When tempted, offer the temptation to the Lord for the conversion of sinners. I like to offer it this way, "Lord, for every second I must endure this temptation, I beg the conversion of one hardened sinner about to die and be damned. For each second I must suffer this temptation, one sinner is given the grace to convert." Usually the temptation doesn't last but a few seconds after that. If I have to endure that sort of foul junk, the one giving it to me will suffer the loss of souls! - shana

EC Gefroh said...

Marie, I don't know if you get Fox News there but on Hannity's America this past Sunday, it was about the devil. One guy actually engaged the devil in conversation. My DH and I were watching this saying "Oh no, you shouldn't be doing that".

Oh thank you for sharing that Shana!!

Easter Almuena said...

Esther, LOVE this!

So I see our dearest friend Marie here again. :-) How wonderful!!!

This is the key to guarding ourselves from having bad thoughts and which I exercise myself, but with full knowledge that it is done by God's grace alone, NOT mine. When a bad thought comes to mind, I reject it right away.

When one dwells on a bad thought, which is inflicted by Satan, it becomes the individual's and he now commits sin.

THANK YOU, dearest Esther! What a joy it was to see you and your family yesterday! :-)

Anonymous said...

Love it...