Friday, November 30, 2007

There's Always Someone To See Bad in Something so Good

Thanks to Jean of Catholic Fire for sharing this.

For a few years now, Fr. Antoine of Children of Hope has been bringing more and more children to Eucharistic Adoration. Very young children are learning to love and adore our Lord, truly present in the Most Blessed Sacrament.

One would think Father Antoine's ministry was noble, holy and beyond reproach.

However, a writer for traditional Catholics finds fault in these Children's Holy Hours.

I direct you to Margaret C. Galitzin's article Muslim Style Adoration for Catholic Children

I am of the opinion that children, like all of us, want to see something larger and grander than themselves in the God they worship. They long for the glory and majesty of God. Parents be warned: This is missing in the Children of Hope Eucharistic devotion, which ultimately offers an egalitarian vision of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, turns devotion into a casual chat session with Jesus, and encourages a Muslim-style way to pray for youth and adults.
If what Fr. Antoine is doing is so wrong, why is he a prominent figure for both The World Apostolate of Fatima (Blue Army) and EWTN?

I wonder what Ms. Galitzen's opinion would be of moms in Hawaii who permit their children to do their religion school work in front of Jesus, who read saint stories in front of Jesus, who actually sit in the chairs provided in the Adoration Chapel!!

The purpose of Adoration is to love and adore God in our presence. Children will grow in a deeper more intimate way with our Lord, if they are permitted to see our God as someone who they can actually "talk" to.

I'm not sure why these children are kneeling the way they are in the picture in the article. My guess is that they seem to be able to meditate better with their eyes closed and that it may be a more comfortable position.

I've never been to a Children's Holy Hour by Fr. Antoine so I cannot make a judgment either way on why they are on mats.

7 comments:

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

When I was in the 6th form at school (aged 17-18) the Common Room was loud and there wasn't anywhere to go and study quietly. I was doing A'level RE and would take my work into the chapel. I loved it. He was there and I could sit quietly and work and have Him there with me.

Children doing a Holy Hour is beautiful.

Jean Heimann said...

Well said, Esther.

God bless you!

Marie said...

When I am alone I lay prostrate on the floor before the Tabernacle..I am sure they would think me a 'loon' I don't care.

Are these the same people who never recognised JPII? If so who are THEY to think God should consult THEM?

Talk about pride?!?

Peace & JOY to you:)

Marie

EC Gefroh said...

WS, I'm sure you did quite well as a student too.

Jean, thank you and thank you for posting it.

Exactly Marie.

What I forgot to mention is that her criticism reminded me of the apostles trying to keep the children away from Jesus and He wouldn't let them. He wanted the children to come to Him in their own way.

elena maria vidal said...

Hi! Great blog! I love the idea of children's adoration was very excited when at one of the local parishes the Children of Hope program was introduced. My daughter, who is being home-schooled, had just turned 4 and I really wanted her to participate.

However, I did not care for the prostrations in the aisles which were part of the program. I want my daughter to learn the custom of our parish, which is a genuflection before the Blessed sacrament, as the Roman rite prescribes. (I have nothing against people praying privately in any manner they want, but for my daughter, I want her to learn the traditional liturgical form before branching out into creative prayer.)

Several other parents felt the same way as I did, but the mothers in charge of the event would not and will not give up the prostrations in favor of simple genuflecting and kneeling in the pews, rather than kneeling in the aisles.

Since it a parish church, and a parish-sponsored event, not a private chapel, many parents feel that the liturgical norms should be observed. This has caused a great deal of controversy among our homeschooling families which requires a great deal of prayer.

elena maria vidal said...

PS. I asked Fr. John Boyle about this, and while he loves prostration as a form of Adoration, he agreed that perhaps it is not always the best way for small children to pray. Other priests think differently, but I do think that Father had a good point here. To quote:
http://south-ashford-priest.blogspot.com/2008/01/magi-patron-saints-of-christian.html
"Look, I would suggest that in all things there should be moderation. When we are engaged in the Liturgy, we should all observe the liturgical norms. Certainly, nothing exaggerated should be forced upon anyone, least of all little children. I would much rather they be taught to genuflect properly and kneel down, and then sit after a little prayer. Certainly, we can gaze at the Lord in the Host. We should allow our sight to be filled with His Light. Perhaps there is a reaction to the loss of the restrained forms of adoration that are characteristic of the Roman Liturgy. If we genuflected, bowed, beat our breasts, made the signs of the Cross at the proper times and in the proper ways, we would be offering a very fitting act of worship. Sadly, bodily worship with appropriate postures/gestures has disappeared from many congregations."
http://teaattrianon.blogspot.com/2008/01/magi-and-adoration.html

EC Gefroh said...

Makes sense Elena. I'm glad you commented. Thank you.