Saturday, August 18, 2007

A Good Homily for Sunday, 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Jesus and followers
and it was written by Fr. Daren
"I came to cast fire upon the earth; and would that it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how I am constrained until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law."
Luke 12: 49 - 53

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our Priest gave a good homily for us...God bless

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

i don't think our PP quite got it-but he gave a reasonable overview of family strife.

My beloved Ebed-melech was in the first reading.

The family divided by Christ is my family. It is a source of pain that my husband has become Catholic. his poor dad can't talk about it. He just wants to pretend it hasn't happened.
Sad.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Somebody at a meeting I attended read the Gospel and read from some other source something like, "Jesus came to dividing us from the things that divide us from Him!" I thought that was great. I guess if it ends up dividing us from brothers, sisters, parents, and in-laws...I guess it's what He wants and it's more important that hanging on to the sinful things those people might lead us to?

Jean Heimann said...

Esther,

I really enjoyed this homily, too, and linked to it. Also, I like your image.

God bless you!

EC Gefroh said...

That's good Jackie. So did ours but his was a little on the humorous side.

WS: That is sad.

Laura, that is food for thought.

Thanks Jean. I did see it on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I am always surprised at how some catholics seem to act surprised and horrified that my family members do not speak with me because of religious matters. (the family members will insist the Church doesn't really teach this or that, because Father said so, etc).A few have blamed me, as though I can control whether people talk to me or not.
This reading helps get me over the guilt.

EC Gefroh said...

Anonymous: I'm glad Father's homily helped.