Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Jubilee Year of Mercy


Picture source

Pope Francis opened wide the doors to usher in the Year of Mercy.

Jesus told Saint Faustina:

 "My heart is a sea of Mercy.  All who glorify and spread my Mercy will not have terror at the hour of death.  I will defend them as My own glory.  Every soul that says this Chaplet or when others say it for a dying person, the pardon is the same. My Mercy will shield them from My Just Hands.  If sinners run away from my Merciful Heart, they will fall into My Just Hands..."
Pope Francis is calling us to do  these corporal and spiritual acts or mercy regularly during this great Jubilee Year. Our holy father is giving Catholics, and non-Catholics too, an opportunity to become more compassionate towards one another but especially towards those in need.

THE ACTS OF MERCY

CORPORAL ACTS:

To feed the hungry;
To give drink to the thirsty;
To clothe the naked;
To give shelter to the homeless;
To visit the sick;
To ransom the captive;
To bury the dead.

SPIRITUAL ACTS:
To instruct the ignorant;
To counsel the doubtful;
To admonish sinners;
To bear wrongs patiently;
To forgive offenses willingly;
To comfort the afflicted;
To pray for the living and the dead

Remember that charity begins at home.  If we don't have love and compassion or show mercy to those in our own family, how can we be expected to show compassion and mercy to strangers?


No comments: