Thursday, August 27, 2015

Prayer of Saint Augustine (after Receiving Holy Communion)

"Death of Saint Monica" by Juan Barba


Picture source

O Lord Jesus, let me know myself, let me know You, 
and let me desire nothing but You alone.
Let me hate myself and love You, 
and do all things for the sake of You.
Let me humble myself and exalt You, 
and think of nothing but You alone.
Let me die to myself and live in You, 
and take whatever
happens as coming from You.
Let me forsake myself and walk after You, 
and ever desire to follow You.
Let me flee from myself and turn to You, 
that thus I may
merit to be defended by You.
Let me fear for myself, let me fear You, 
and be among those who are chosen by You.
Let me distrust myself and trust in You,
 and ever obey for love of You.
Let me cleave to nothing but only to You, 
and ever be poor for the sake of You.
Look upon me that I may love You.  
Call me that I may see You and forever possess You.  Amen.

-Treasury of Prayer by Rev. Lawrence G. Lovasik, S.V.D.

No comments: