Monday, June 01, 2015

Month of June - The Sacred Heart of Jesus



June is traditionally the month of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

From among all the proofs of the infinite goodness of our Savior none stands out more prominently than the fact that, as the love of the faithful grew cold, He, Divine Love Itself, gave Himself to us to be honored by a very special devotion and that the rich treasury of the Church was thrown wide open in the interests of that devotion."  These words of Pope Pius XI refer to the Sacred Heart Devotion which in its present form dates from the revelations given to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque in 1673-75. 

The devotion consists in the divine worship of the human heart of Christ, which is united to His divinity and which is a symbol of His love for us.  The aim of the devotion is to make our Lord king over our hearts by prompting them to return love to Him (especially through an act of consecration by which we offer to the Heart of Jesus both ourselves and all that belongs to us) and to make reparation for our ingratitude to God. 

ACT OF LOVE

Reveal Thy Sacred Heat to me,
O Jesus, and show me Its attractions. 
Unite me to It for ever.
Grant that all my aspirations and all the beats of my heart, which cease not even while I slepp, 
may be a testimonial to Thee of my love for Thee 
and may say to Thee:  Yes,
Lord, I am all Thine; the
pledge of my allegiance to Thee rests ever in my heart and will never cease to be there.
Do Thou accept the slight amount of good that I do and be graciously pleased to repair all
my wrong-doing; so that I may be able to bless Thee in time and in eternity.  Amen.

by Cardinal Merry del Val

 The Prayer Book

"...Thine isolation, the icy silence and the solitude which surround Thy forlorn Tabernacle accuse the world of the sin most keenly felt by Thy Heart--the sin of ingratitude."

"To love, O Jesus, as only Thou lovest and not be loved in return!...to bless and be cursed in return...to scatter favors freely and be repaid by forgetfulness or insults!...Behold sweet Savior, the very bitter bread of Thy voluntary exile in the midst of us; ...behold the price of Thy sublime captivity in the Tabernacle!  In the way Thy Gethsemane is prolonged through the centuries...Ah, in reparation, we insist on having our share in it...."


- First Friday in June meditation of Holy Hour by Father Mateo Crawley-Boevey, SSCC.

Reminder:  this Friday is First Friday in June.  Good time to make the 9 First Fridays.

No comments: