Saturday, January 29, 2011

Discussing the Actions of Priests

Picture source

...or anyone else's for that matter.

There has been much talk and speculations this week, especially regarding priests.

I was dismayed to see a local news report being picked up by a national Catholic news service. This of course could not be avoided as it does involve Catholic priests in the news. However, the comments left by some who do not even know the priest involved, has caused me much concern.  We really need to be careful with our thoughts but especially with our words. We do not have the right to discuss the priests' actions because we do not know the full story.


The other day someone left a comment on one of my blog posts. As is my custom when a new commenter leaves something not of the ordinary, I check out their blog. I found that she was defending a priest from horrible accusations.That blogger wrote with much conviction yet it was speculations on her part.

"Outdo one another in showing honor" - St. Paul (Rom. 12:10).
I want to share Jenn Giroux's article here which I found thanks to Mary Ann Kreitzer as well as Mary Ann Kreitzer's article here.

I also found a very good article on speaking ill of others.

We tear down others when we point out their weak points, criticize them, or complain about them when they are not present.
There may be some circumstances in which speaking of a person's faults is not done with the intent to dishonor him or her, but for some good purpose-for example, to correct the person or to protect the community. Yet even in these cases, a person should delicately choose his words with great discretion and moderation. Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta once needed to discuss with her close advisors a disciplinary issue involving one of the sisters in her community. She began the conversation by reminding them to speak carefully and not say anything they did not need to say. She led them in prayer asking God to help them speak gently about this particular sister, pointing out that it was as if they were holding her in the palm oft heir hands as they spoke about her.

It would be a good for us to learn to distinguish between the sin of detraction and speaking up for someone's own good.

The Feathers of Gossip: How our Words can Build Up or Tear Down
EDWARD P. SRI

3 comments:

SR said...

I think if everyone lived by one rule people would just leave each other alone:

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Great post Esther, I agree with you.

SR said...

I think if everyone lived by one rule we could all just get along:

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Great post Esther, I agree with you.

EC Gefroh said...

Thank you SR. I know you support our priest with your prayers. God bless.