Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Feast of St. Philomena


Both St. John Vianney and St. Damien had a great devotion to St. Philomena whose traditional feast day is today August 11th.

Saint Philomena, Virgin and Martyr!

In these days, when so many are suffering, does not Our Lady say to her Daughter, as she once said to her Divine Son, "They have no wine! They have nothing to make glad their hearts!"

It is written of Divine Providence, that not only does it arrange the means, but it reaches the goal. Gentleness is remarkable in the former and strength of character in the latter. St. Philomena received from Jesus Christ in the heights of Heaven, her mission. It seems the King of Kings to Whom all power is given from the Father, distinguished her in the midst of the assembly of Saints by a particular satisfaction and preferential love. "Go, I have chosen you and wish to place you in the fields of My Church like a new sowing, destined to make It productive. You will bring to Me the fruits which My Hand prepares for you; may your firmness augment for Me, your savor."

Ah, Christ Our Savior wishes to use the glorious St. Philomena to console us, to instruct us and to encourage us. She will be our Anchor of Hope in this Age of Darkness. We need her in these unhappy times to which the words of St. John apply so well: "My dear children, we have come to the last hour. You have been told that the anti-Christ is nigh, or there are a great number of anti-Christs in the world. This is why we affirm that the last hour has tolled. Preserve your doctrine, my children, which was taught to you from the beginning. It will keep you constantly united with the Father and the Son." The anti-Christs will conspire with such malice, audacity and slander that, not only in the cities but even in the hamlets, his reign will infest you with a disgusting poison and impious vomit. False prophets will spring up, God's laws will fall to scorn, souls will be gorged with silver and gold, sanctuaries will be profaned. Fathers and mothers will be insulted by their children, marriages torn asunder and incest will stain all classes.

Divine Wisdom cries out: "Have Faith! It is I Who permit these fearful winds and storms. Have Confidence! It is I Who permit the tides to rise. I will come at the moment you need Me. If I must move the heavens and the earth to make you triumph over your enemies, I will do it! Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will enter into My glory." In falling under the tyrant's sword, Philomena was victorious. She received an immortal crown and was placed upon a throne in eternity. Her reign will have no end!


Prayer to St. Philomena

O great St. Philomena, glorious Virgin and Martyr, wonder-worker of our age, I return most fervent thanks to God for the miraculous gifts bestowed on thee, and beseech thee to impart to me a share in the graces and blessings of which thou hast been the channel to so many souls. Through the heroic fortitude with which thou didst confront the fury of tyrants and brave the frowns of the mighty rather than swerve from thy allegiance to the King of Heaven, obtain for me purity of body and soul, purity of heart and desire, purity of thought and affection.

Through thy patience under multiplied sufferings, obtain for me a submissive acceptance of all the afflictions it may please God to send me and as thou didst miraculously escape unhurt from the waters of the Tiber, into which thou wert cast by order of thy persecutor, so may I pass through the waters of tribulation without detriment to my soul. In addition to these favors, obtain for me, O faithful spouse of Jesus, the particular intention I earnestly recommend to thee at this moment. O pure Virgin and holy Martyr, deign to cast a look of pity from Heaven on thy devoted servant, comfort me in affliction, assist me in danger, above all come to my aid in the hour of death. Watch over the interests of the Church of God, pray for its exaltation and prosperity, the extension of the faith, for the Sovereign Pontiff, for the clergy, for the perseverance of the just, the conversion of sinners, and the relief of the souls in purgatory, especially those dear to me. O great Saint, whose triumph we celebrate on earth, intercede for me, that I may one day behold the crown of glory bestowed on thee in Heaven, and eternally bless Him who so liberally rewards for all eternity the sufferings endured for His love during this short life. Amen.

Prayer
(for those who wear her cord)


O most pure Virgin, glorious Martyr, St. Philomena, whom God in His eternal power has revealed to the world in these unhappy days in order to revive the faith, sustain the hope and enkindle the charity of Christian souls, behold me prostate at thy feet. Deign, O Virgin, full of goodness and kindness, to receive my humble prayers and to obtain for me that purity for which thou didst sacrifice the most alluring pleasures of the world, that strength of soul which made thee resist the most terrible attacks and that ardent love for our Lord Jesus Christ, which the most frightful torments could not extinguish in thee. So, that wearing thy holy cord and imitating thee in this life, I may one day be crowned with thee in heaven. Amen.

Thanks to Madalena for sharing this.

No comments: