Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Radiating Christ


Dear Jesus,
help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go.
Flood my soul with Thy spirit and life.
Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly
that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine.
Shine through me,
and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with
may feel Thy presence in my soul.
Let them look up and see no longer me
but only Jesus!
Stay with me,
and then I shall begin to shine
as Thou shine,
so to shine as to be a light to others;
the light, O Jesus, will be all from Thee;
none of it will be mine;
it will be Thou shining on others through me.
Let me thus praise Thee in the way Thou dost love best
by shining on those around me.
Let me preach Thee without preaching,
not by words but by my example,
by the catching force of the sympathetic influence
of what I do,
the evident fullness of the love my heart bears to Thee.
Amen.
- John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801 - 1890)

According to the Pieta Prayer Book, this was a favorite of Bl. Mother Teresa of Calcutta. She said it made a great difference in the lives of the Missionaries of Charity.

2 comments:

Anne said...

The Pieta prayerbook is a treasure, isn't it? I couldn't make it through a day without it!

EC Gefroh said...

Ane, it truly is. I wish I knew more about the folks who put it together.