Thursday, December 04, 2008

Overdue Book Review - Behold Your Mother

Behold Your Mother

I guess by the title of the book you can tell a little of what the book is about.

This lovely little book was written by Catholic mom and writer Heidi Hess Saxton. It contains stories, meditations, and reflections from a Catholic convert's point of view. It is broken up into three sections: Personal stories, reflections and a personal Mary section for our notes.

As soon as I began reading the book I was drawn into the personal stories shared by the author.

As a cradle Catholic, I love to read conversion stories of what has drawn a person into the Catholic Church. I understand that our Lord's very own mother is usually the big stumbling block for many converts. Yet once they come fully into the Church, they have a love for the Blessed Mother that is so inspiring.

Heidi writes:

"As a new Catholic, I resisted the idea of praying to Mary. Why go to Jesus' mother when I could go directly to the Source of answered prayer?...The very idea of talking to Jesus' mother held no appeal. Heidi then goes on to share her story that changed that way of thinking.

The stories Heidi shares are stories that help me too as a Catholic go to our Blessed Mother for help. I would always go directly to Jesus for help. Ever since I was a teen I have always thought of him as my big brother and I never hesitated to ask for his help.

It was slowly over the years that I have grown in my devotion to the Blessed Mother in the way my sister and mom have always had.

Which brings me back to Heidi's book. I loved reading the personal stories she shared. I would have been very happy had the entire book been filled with these personal stories. Yet, the book also contains forty-eight sections on reflections of our the Blessed Mother's life through her many titles.

As a wife and mother, some of these reflections truly touched me. Take this one for instance:

"Mother of the Lamb"

This reflection was based on Luke 22:14, 19-20

..."This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you."

"Call it mother's intuition. I had to be with him.
Is it such a terrible thin, a mother making sure that her
Son is eating well? So, they showed me the room, and I
shooed them out of my kitchen.
So much to do! Peeling and roasting and boiling.
My Son would have a feast.

After dinner I made coffee, and pondered
Jesus' words: "This is my body...my blood."
I was just about to clear the dishes when I heard,
"Who is greater? The one seated at the table
or the one who serves?"
I glanced at my dishpan hands, and wondered,
What could it mean?
...

What mom could not relate to Heidi's reflection? We would do anything to make our child happy especially if he had friends over for dinner. Yet, just imagine being the mother of the savior of the world and listening to parts of the conversations held at the Last Supper!

Heidi's imagination in bringing us to the moment reminded me of the way Mother Angelica explains the scriptures to us.

BTW, that is the next book I need to review.

If you haven't already read this book, please do. Bring it with you to Adoration. Keep it by your nightstand to read in the quiet moments before to go to sleep. It is truly a beautiful little book.

If you would like to order the book as a gift you can find the details over at Behold Your Mother's blog

No comments: