Friday, November 07, 2008

Fine Art Friday - Diego Velásquez

Self-Portrait
Self-Portrait

Blessed Mother and the Holy Trinity
The Blessed Mother and the Holy Trinity

St. John the Baptist
St. John the Baptist

Christ Crucified
Christ Crucified

Virgin of the Immaculate Conception
Virgin of the Immaculate Conception

Pope Innocent X
Pope Innocent X

Supper at Emmaus
Supper at Emmaus

Las Meninas
Las Meninas

Diego Rodríguez de Silva y Velázquez (June 6, 1599 – August 6, 1660) was a Spanish painter who was the leading artist in the court of King Philip IV. He was an individualistic artist of the contemporary baroque period, important as a portrait artist. In addition to numerous renditions of scenes of historical and cultural significance, he painted scores of portraits of the Spanish royal family, other notable European figures, and commoners, culminating in the production of his masterpiece Las Meninas (1656).
Source Wikipedia

6 comments:

Ann Murray said...

Genuine sacred art draws man to adoration, to prayer and to the love of God, Creator and Saviour, the Holy One and the Sanctifier. --Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2502

Esther, I came across this and your site was the first one I thought of.
Thanks, Esther, and God bless.

Tracy said...

I always look forward to Friday now Esther.. I love to see what art you'll have on your blog and you never disappoint!!

EC Gefroh said...

Yes! Isn't that a beautiful thought V.

Thank you so much!

Why thank you Tracy. That is so good to know :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the Emmaus painting. It is so full of Life. Just as Veritas says genuine sacred art draws us to prayer-I am sure there is something of the artists own prayer in them.
(I can think of one exception-Gill-but his work seems to me technically correct but lacking the depth of some fine art)

Spence Ohana said...

Thanks for posting those - I remember studying him and his portraits of Christ Crucified and Las Meninas, but I hadn't seen the others you posted. I enjoy your Fine Art Friday postings. :-)

EC Gefroh said...

I've never heard of him but will do a little research as I am curious now :-)

Thanks Melissa.