Sunday, November 23, 2008

Awaiting Damien's Canonization

Fr. Damien OLOP ecg
Father Damien Painting -
Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace, Honolulu, Hawaii
Taken by Joey

Article in the Honolulu Advertiser
...The bishop will return from Rome with a very special piece of luggage, one that warrants its own seat.

"When we get back, I will have the relic with me of Father Damien," said Silva.

The relic, or piece of Damien's remains, is expected to be the heel...

Blessed Damien Statue
A PRELIMINARY CANONIZATION CALENDAR

• February: The date of the canonization is expected to be announced. Once that occurs, a Mass of Thanksgiving will be held at Kalaupapa.

• October or November: The expected date of the canonization. A simulcast of the event will air on Eternal Word Television Network, with follow-up airings later and possibly church viewing parties, depending on the time of the simulcast.

• The day after canonization: An audience with Pope Benedict XVI has been requested.

• Upon return to Hawai'i: Bishop Larry Silva will take a relic of Damien throughout the churches on all islands.

A special ceremony at Kalaupapa will also be planned.
The anticipation is really getting exciting!! My family and I were contemplating a trip to Rome. We may now wait until this date for canonization is announced.

A big mahalo to Easter for thinking of me when she shared this article. I missed it by not reading the Island Life section ;-)

4 comments:

Rev. Daren J. Zehnle, J.C.L., K.C.H.S. said...

I'm thinking of going to Rome myself!

EC Gefroh said...

Well, let's start praying that we can go Father.

Easter Almuena said...

OK, I will pray for both of you.
:-)

EC Gefroh said...

Thanks Easter!