Monday, May 05, 2008

Shadowlands - in Hawaii

Lead Actors from TAG
James K. Aina as "C.S. Lewis" and
Hannah Schauer Galli as "Joy Gresham"
Picture source TAG
Shadowlands
by William Nicholson
directed by Melinda Maltby Alvarado
Produced by Laurie Tanoura

One of my good friends and I went to the theater to watch The Actors' Group production of Shadowlands. She has a master's degree in English literature and is a huge movie and theater buff! I could not have picked a better person to attend this play than with her.

The location of this little theater is hard to explain but it reminds me of the city I grew up in. Industrial and urban, it was hard to believe the theater was in Hawaii. The theater itself was very tiny. I do not think that it could accommodate any more than 30 people, if that.

The set and the actors were only a few feet from us, their audience. I did not know whether I would enjoy myself or not. I thus resigned myself to a long afternoon in the dark. I kept looking forward to the dinner we would be going to after the theater.

As soon as the lights were dimmed, "C.S. Lewis" appeared before us and started a soliloquy about the meaning of God, suffering and love.

From that moment on I was transported back to Oxford, England and I was privy to the private life of one our greatest English writers.

Lewis and Gresham
Real life Lewis and Gresham. Picture source here

I an not by any stretch of the imagination a theater aficionado and do not claim to be able to review a play of this depth. But I can safely say, in my humble opinion, the acting of Mr. James Aina was profound in feeling. You can see that the actor looks nothing like the real Mr. Lewis. Yet I felt that he truly captured Lewis' true spirit.

We spend a captivating hour and a half before we had a 15 minute intermission. I was actually sorry to see them take a break. The second half could not have started soon enough for me. Yet, I knew this was the sad part that was coming up. In anticipation of the sadness, some of the actors and stagehands passed out tissues to a few people. It takes a lot to make me cry, especially in public. I did not feel I needed a tissue. However, I should have remembered who I went to the theater with...none other than my soft-hearted friend.

I found the background surrounding the Lewis-Gresham union very curious. I did not remember it being a marriage of convenience at first. My friend and I were quite perplexed as to why such a moral man like C.S. Lewis would accept to enter into such a marriage. I guess I will have to read more about it to find out.

I remember watching the 1993 movie of the same name and starring Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger. I remember feeling that it was a dreary movie with regard to the story line. It appears my memory was playing a trick on me because that is not how it was at all. It was a combination of humor, lighthearted teasing and banter and of course, tragic. In fact, after the play ended my friend remarked that this production was too close to the movie.

The actors were available to greet the exiting audience and I would have liked to have congratulated them all. But my friend was in a hurry to get out of there and go to dinner. I did get a chance during the intermission to congratulate the director on her magnificent job.

The play closes on May 11th for those of you in Hawaii who would like to spend quality time at the theater. I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

This sounds like a play well worth experiencing...Will hope it makes it to the Midwest. Good evening to you. Cathy

Marie said...

Glad you enjoyed the play Esther. I loved the movie 'Shadowlands' and thought Anthony Hopkins did a superb job in playing C.S.Lewis..I wonder if there is a book on the love between C.S. Lewis and Joy? I would love to read it. Sometimes books convey more than movies.

Peace & much love to you:)

Marie xoxoxo PS: I have written a piece on Virtuous blogging inspired by your own:). God bless you:)

teresa_anawim2 said...

I have 3 recommendations you will LOVE!
CS Lewis had a best friend, Sheldon Vanauken who wrote about the love he experienced in his life...so deep and profound for a human love between man and woman... that he vowed never again to forsake that relationship and memories and replace them with another after she died.
The first book A Severe Mercy chronicles this relationship. The second Under the Mercy tells of his conversion to the Roman Catholic Church from Anglicanism and his life without her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Severe_Mercy

cs Lewis, an Anglican, has inspired Believers in Christ worldwide. worldwide.
****************
The deep, deep pain Lewis felt after Joy's death and his questions towards God are expressed in his tiny book a Grief Observed.

http://www.amazon.com/Grief-Observed-C-S-Lewis/dp/0060652381

I love Lewis and am presently re-'reading' the Narnia Stories on CD as I knit!..not just for kids as Lewis tells his neice in his forward to the L,W,&W!
The Chronicles are 'staple' 'standard' wholesome literature for youth...I highly recommend the books for young and old.
FWIW



teresa_anawim

Easter Almuena said...

Hi Esther,
Wonderful post!

I read his autobiography and loved it. I will consider watching it... Thanks for posting this!

Love,
Easter:-)

EC Gefroh said...

It really was Cathy. I hope you have a chance to see it.

Marie, same here although Teresa below recommended a few I am going to check out. I just asked my DH to pick up Shadowlands so I can watch it again.

Thank you Teresa!!! I can't wait to check these books out.

Easter, I think you will enjoy it.