Thursday, November 02, 2006

Solemnity of All Souls Day


Aladar Korosfoi-Kriesch
Hungarian National Gallery, Budapest
Picture Courtesy of
Women for Faith and Family

I believe one can earn plenary indulgence by praying for the poor souls in purgatory on this day. If I am not mistaken, a visit to a cemetery and/or Church (attending Mass) and praying for the intentions of the Souls in Purgatory and our Holy Father's intentions...Our Father...Hail Mary...Glory Be...Apostle's Creed, will gain one the plenary indulgence.

Mahalo to my friend Mary Ann for sharing the following:

Prayer to Holy Souls in Purgatory

Oh holy souls in purgatory, you are the certain heirs of heaven. You are most dear to Jesus as the trophies of His Precious Blood and to Mary, Mother of Mercy. Obtain for me through your intercession the grace to lead a holy life, to die a happy death, and to attain to the blessedness of eternity in heaven.

Dear suffering souls, who long to be delivered in order to praise and glorify God in heaven, by your unfailing pity help me in the needs which distress me at this time, particularly {mention your petition} so that I may obtain relief and assistance from God.

In gratitude for your intercession I offer to God in your behalf the satisfactory merits of my prayer and work, my joys and sufferings of this day.

And to Sue for the following:

A Prayer for the Suffering Souls
http://www.purgatory.ca/pray-purg.php


O Adorable Trinity, cast upon us Thy merciful glance. Look at these souls whom Thou hast created, and who suffer far from Thee an unutterable grief. Look at Thy poor contrite servants, humbly supplicating Thee in their behalf. For the sake of the glorious Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus Christ, and our Mother also, deign to shorten the sufferings of these desolate souls; and to us all who labor in the miseries of the life, grant the grace of eternal salvation.

I am only a sinner, but in obedience to Thy command, dear Jesus, I dare to intercede with Thee for my captive brethren. Deign by Thy Holy Sacrifice to appease the justice of Thy Father and open Heaven to those poor souls who languish far from Thee. Amen.

V. Grant unto them, O Lord, eternal rest;
R. And let perpetual light shine upon them
V. May they rest in peace.
R. Amen.

No comments: