Thursday, November 30, 2006

Recommended Spiritual Reading

My Daily Bread There is a little book I picked up from my bookshelf the other day. It was given to me by a friend in church a few years ago. It is called My Daily Bread and published by the Confraternity of the Precious Blood. In some ways, it reminds me of the Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.

The reason I like this little book is because no matter what page I turn to or choose at random, it usually strikes me as if speaking to me personally. It is structured in a way that if properly followed and with great resolve, we can overcome the faults that keep us from being saints.

The following is how the book is divided:

A Summary of the Spiritual Life, simplied and arranged for daily reading, reflection and prayer by Anthony J. Paone, S.J. published in 1954.

Book One:

The Way of Purification

Part One: Conversion

Part Two After Conversion

Part Three: Temptation

Part Four: Conquering Bad Habits

Part Five: Self-Conquest Through Mortification

Book Two:

The Way of Imitation

Part One: Following Jesus in Daily Life

Part Two: Virtues Leading Directly to God

Part Three: Man's Relation with His Neighbor and with Himself

Part Four: The Spiritual Combat

Book Three:

The Way of Union

Part One: Striving for Closer Union

Part Two: Union Through the Holy Eucharist

Part Three: Union Throught the Day

In case you are interested,
Leaflet Missal sells it.

No comments: