Friday, March 19, 2010

So, What Age Was St. Joseph?


The Russian Orthodox tradition according to my friend Mimi, is that St. Joseph was an old man when Jesus was born.  I am not exactly sure the Roman Catholic tradition is as St. Joseph is depicted both as young and old in Catholic art.

There is an interesting article over at The Pious Sodality of Church Ladies discussing the issue of St. Joseph's age.

..."Padre Pio reportedly insisted the St. Joseph was even younger - perhaps only 18 when espoused to Our Lady..."

What do you think?

4 comments:

Christine said...

I once heard a priest on EWTN discuss this and he said that reason would support the fact that St. Joseph was a young man. Great question considering how St. Joseph is depicted as various ages in art.

Mimi said...

I'm curious, clearly coming from the Orthodox point of view, as to why reason would support him being young? In our tradition it seems that he was older. He'd obviously died by the time Christ was an adult and he had children prior to his betrothal to the Theotokos (St. James being among these children - the Orthodox believe that the brothers and sisters of the Lord are his children by a previous marriage).
http://ocafs.oca.org/FeastSaintsViewer.asp?FSID=85

EC Gefroh said...

Christine and Mimi, interesting. Mimi, I will look into this because I am not sure where the Roman Catholic Church stance is on St. Joseph having been a widower with children. Like I said above, interesting...

Mimi said...

I'm curious too! Grin!
Keep me posted.m