For someone who really did not like to be tied down to praying novenas for nine days, I have come to love a few of them very much. The following are some of favorites:
1. The oldest novena known is the Holy Spirit Novena. We pray that one for the gifts and the fruits of the Holy Spirit. The novena ends on the vigil of Pentecost. That one is the best novena anyone can pray.
2. The second highly recommended novena is the Divine Mercy Novena which the Church prays starting on Good Friday and ending on the vigil of Divine Mercy Sunday. We pray for the intentions of many people and the salvation on their souls. Very powerful and we have Saint Faustina via St. John Paul II to thank for this novena.
3. Saint Mother Teresa's Express novena is also one that helps a lot especially if you need help right away and don't have 9 days to wait. You simply pray the Memorare nine times in a row.
4. One of the newer novenas which is recommended by Pope Francis is the Mary, Untier of Knots novena. This novena helps with things that complicate our lives or seem impossible to untangle.
5. My own personal favorite is one that I have been doing for members of my family or my own personal intentions like before I travel. It is a Mass and Holy Communion Novena and it entails 18 days total with nine in Petition and nine days in Thanksgiving.
Plot out 18 consecutive days hopefully ending with the vigil of a feast or solemnity.
1. The first nine days are Novena for Petition.
- Mass intentions and attendance at Mass
- During the Consecration at the elevation of the Precious Blood Chalice I again make the prayer request.
- Offering my Holy Communion for that particular intention
Optional: Daily Rosary for that intention.
2. Second 9 days are the Novena for Thanksgiving.
This is important because we should be confident God will answer our prayer request. Whether He answers it in our time, His time, our way or His way, is up to Him but He will answer it.
- Mass in Thanksgiving and attendance at Mass. If you can request Mass intentions for Thanksgiving that would be great.
- During the Consecration at the elevation of the Precious Blood Chalice I thank God for answering my prayers.
- Offering my Holy Communion in Thanksgiving.
Optional: Daily Rosary in Thanksgiving.