Monday, November 03, 2008

Feast of San Martin de Porres

San Martin de Porres

O humble Saint Martin de Porres,
you are the patron of social justice.
You spent your whole life in Peru
as a laborer and dedicated yourself
to unyielding acts of contrition.
Our Lord blessed you
with spiritual wisdom
and a generous heart
that you freely shared
with your fellow neighbor
and all the animals of the earth.
You doctored the sick,
fed the hungry, and gave
safe refuge to the oppressed.
Guide me to use my gifts
to help others who need
someone to stand up for them.
Amen.

- From a Holy Card.

Reflection: The thought that struck me this morning as I gazed at our statue of San Martin de Porres, is that I will ask for his intercession for the elections tomorrow, on this the eve of election day. May this humble saint who suffered at times because of the color of his skin, protect the millions of children, especially those who are Black or Hispanic, from the dangers of abortion.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

He is one of most favorite saints! I love his life story. What a wonderful person, and such a painful childhood to overcome.

EC Gefroh said...

I'm just sorry I didn't have time to share some stories my dad shared with me about him.