Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Terror attacks were an act of war, not simply a tragedy to be mourned

This morning I was chatting with my parents and my mom was telling me she watched the naming of all the victims' names. My dad interjected and said people were protesting the fact that this is drawn out and basically "enough is enough". My mom and I both verbally jumped on my poor dad who was simply relaying a news article. We couldn't fathom someone actually protesting the memorial for the victims of the 9/11th attack. But I also knew as hard as it was to believe, it was true.

Thanks to one of my sisters for sharing the following with me:
A recent newspaper article suggested that the 9/11 commemoration "decibel level" should be "scaled back." Mourning the dead too loud and too long impinges on the living, the article said. Life goes on. I wouldn't disagree. But it is extremely important to distinguish between public mourning and public remembering; otherwise, the phrase that was as ubiquitous as the American flag six years ago, "Never Forget," and invoked with tearful or angry rectitude, is rendered hollow. We all meant it, whether the cause was revenge, retribution or simple recognition of our common humanity.

Daily News Article

2 comments:

PBXVI said...

Hmmm... Interesting thought. I think instead of neccesarily showing all the names in the newspaper (if that's what I understood is right) maybe it would've been better to just write a story of some individuals or their families. We must never forget what happened however!
God Bless!

EC Gefroh said...

They probably did that but I think what those complaining were the list of names that are read each year. I wish we had done what we did last year with each blog posting a tribute to one particular victim of the attack.