Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Suffer the Little Children

Donna's artwork
Stories from personal acquaintances, all involving small children at Mass:
The following is an excerpt from Donna's book The Heart of Motherhood. When Donna's children were young, she brought them to Mass at the Missionary of Charity's convent in Washington D.C. Her youngest daughter was not quite two at the time. Donna took her outside when she she started to be "fussy" and "whiny" so that she wouldn't disturb anyone in the quiet chapel.:
"After Mass, Mother Teresa came directly up to me as I was holding Jessica and asked me, 'Is this the baby who was singing at Mass?' It was so refreshing to hear someone describe a fussy child as 'singing', especially since it was Mother Teresa!..."
Wouldn't you say that Mother Teresa was living up to the Imitation of Christ! She like Jesus welcomed the youngest children with open arms.

Excerpt from page 83 in The Heart of Motherhood by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle and used with permission.

5 comments:

Jean Heimann said...

I love this story, Esther! Thanks for sharing it.


God blesss you!

Marie said...

What a wonderful story. I wish that people would be more patient with mothers and their children during Mass.

I say this because a good friend of mine was asked NOT to bring her children to Mass as they were a disruption. The Priest said this to her. My heart went out to her, it hurt her so.

Many thanks Esther:).

Peace & blessings to you:)

Marie

EC Gefroh said...

Jean, Donna has so many other little stories in her book.

Marie, that is so sad!

Unknown said...

Oh beautiful :) I wish I had the chance to meet Bl. Teresa of Calcutta.

Everyone comments on how well Alex is in Mass, even if he makes noise and runs about ;) I feel so loved there!

I ordered Donna-Marie's book of Catholic Prayers for Moms... I think my next book will be the one you wrote about here.

Hugs,
Heather

EC Gefroh said...

That is wonderful Heather!
That is the next book I plan on getting.