Monday, May 11, 2009

What Should Our Appropriate Response Be?

Priest Collar
What is the appropriate response to the media's sensationalization and amplification of the weaknesses of certain priests? In our response there should be nothing harsh, nothing that condemns, nothing swollen with the self-righteousness indignation that was "the leaven of the Pharisees" (Mt 16:6). "Let him who is without sin," says the Lord Jesus, "be the first to cast a stone at him" (Jn 8:7). Read all of John 8: 1-11, and in place of the woman caught in adultery, put the priest caught in sin...
I encourage you to read the rest of Fr. Kirby's Post: Has No One Condemned You

twitter / catholicmominHI

6 comments:

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Esther ~
I had a woman state to me years ago that she & her husband were thinking of leaving the Church after the scandals broke out. I had to respond, "You will let less than 1% of 1% of ALL the priests in the country make your decision for you?!? Are they not human? Are they not entitled to a second chance?!?"
She just stared at me. :/
(I might add that this same woman voted for Obama.)
She still goes to Mass but I have to say that I pray for her Faith to increase now...I sometimes wonder why those who say they are Catholic even bother, y'know?

EC Gefroh said...

Jenn, this doesn't surprise me as I have heard of people leaving the Church because of something a priest said to them that may have hurt their feelings. :-(

NCSue said...

Thank you for your post. It falls in line with my thinking - I'd intended to post http://acts17verse28.blogspot.com/2009/05/which-should-we-choose-condemnation-or.html tomorrow, but I feel we need to speak out in defense and support of our priests.

EC Gefroh said...

NCSue, I tried leaving a comment on your blog but had trouble with Google. Thanks for sharing that link with me. Good post. It is our responsibility to pray for our priests daily.

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Ladies ~
Why not go to one of those sites where one may "adopt" a specific priest for daily intentions?
I have done this through the Opus Angelorum...one may change the specific priest every year, or continue to pray for the same man.
Either way, it is a wonderful way to remember to keep them (all of them) in our prayers, is it not?!?
Love, J.

EC Gefroh said...

Jenn, good suggestion. Our you can approach your bishop about starting an apostolate for spiritual moms for priests. My friend Easter of Mostly prayers and I did that.