...Based on a workshop I put together for Milwaukee area homeschoolers last summer, I recently launched Signs & Wonders: A Young Catholics' Poetry Journal as a non-profit way to give children from 5 -18 an outlet to publish and read poetry by others who share our faith. My team and I have gotten a great response from the first issue, and we want to keep that momentum going. Please take a look at the attached flyer with more details, and post/pass this information along to parents, teachers, or students who might be interested.
The next deadline for poetry submissions is January 30.
Also, if you have additional ideas for helping us get the word out about the journal, we'd love to hear them!
Blessings and peace,
Erik Richardson, Editor
(and former homeschooling dad)
Announcing the call for submissions for the next issue of . . .
Signs & Wonders
A YOUNG CATHOLICS’
Launched by a Milwaukee Catholic school teacher and poet, Signs & Wonders gives young people of different ages a chance to read the work of other young people who share their same values and an opportunity to have their own work published.
As Gerard Manley Hopkins expressed it, "The world is charged with the grandeur of God." That idea captures the spirit behind the poetry journal and is reflected in the journal's name. Our talented young writers should be looking for the many ways—large and small—that the world around us gives glimpses of grace.
The poetry will be selected for publication according to age categories to provide for differences in experience and ability.
In order to be eligible for the next issue, poems must be received by January 30, 2009.
• Poetry should be free verse form (not rhymed, not formally metered, etc.).
• There is a limit of 20 lines per poem, and you may submit from 1 to 3 poems.
• The author's name and age should be included on each page.
• We accept both e-mail and snail mail submissions. For snail mail, please include a self-addressed, stamped envelope to receive a reply.
• The poems should fit in with the spirit of the journal mentioned above.
• The author will retain copyrights to his/her work, while Signs & Wonders will have first publication rights as well as use of the poems for promoting the journal (and possible posting to the journal's future website).
• Send submissions to:
E. Richardson, Editor
3225 N. 91st Street
Milwaukee, WI 53222
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Homeschoolers - Call for Catholic Children's Poetry
I received the following email: