Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Holy Face of Jesus

Holy FacePicture is from the Holy Shroud of Turin.

Today as I entered the Church for daily Mass, I spotted a little leaflet someone had left. I almost didn't pick it up but I am glad I did. I learned so much about honoring Jesus' Holy Face and it is so appropriate during Lent. The following website is the official website for the devotion to the Holy Face. Please HERE

"Sister Pierina, a holy nun who died in 1945, in many visions was urged by the Blessed Mother and Jesus Himself to spread the devotion to the Holy Face, in reparation for the many insults Jesus suffered in His Passion, such as to be slapped, spit upon and kissed by Judas, as well as now being dishonored in many ways in the Blessed Sacrament by neglect, sacrileges and profanations. She was given a medal which on one side bore a replica of the Holy Shroud and the inscription: 'Illumina, Domine, vultum tuum super nos.' (Ps.66-1 'May O Lord, the light of Thy countenance shine upon us.' On the reverse side was a radiant host with the words: 'Mane nobiscum Domine.' - 'Stay with us, O Lord.'...

"I firmly wish that my Face reflecting the intimate pains of my Soul, the suffering, and love of my Heart be more honored! Whoever gazes upon me, already consoles me"...(Our Lord to Sister Pierina)

Prayer of St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face

O Jesus, who in Thy bitter Passion didst become "the most abject of men, a man of sorrows", I venerate Thy Sacred Face whereon there once did shine the beauty and sweetness of the Godhead; but now it has become for me as if it were the face of a leper! Nevertheless, under those disfigured features, I recognize Thy infinite Love and I am consumed with the desire to love Thee and make Thee loved by all men. The tears which well up abundantly in Thy sacred eyes appear to me as so many precious pearls that I love to gather up, in order to purchase the souls of poor sinners by means of their infinite value. O Jesus, whose adorable Face ravishes my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy divine image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen

Prayer of Mother Maria-Pierina
O Blessed Face of my kind Savior, by the tender love and piercing sorrow of Our Lady as she beheld you in your cruel Passion, grant us to share in this intense sorrow and love so as to fulfill the holy will of God to the utmost of our ability. Amen.

Promises of Our Lord Jesus Christ to those devoted to His Holy Face

1. I will grant them contrition so perfect, that their very sins shall be changed in My sight into jewels of precious gold.

2. None of these persons shall ever be separated from Me.

3. In offering My Face to My Father, they will appease His anger and they will purchase as with celestial coin, pardon for poor sinners.

4. I will open My Mouth to plead with my Father to grant all the petitions that they will present to Me.

5. I will illuminate them with My light. I will consume them with My love I will render them fruitful of good works.

6. They will, as the pious Veronica, wipe My adorable Face outraged by sin, and I will imprint My divine Features in their souls.

7. At their death, I will renew in them the image of God effaced by sin.

8. By resemblance to My face, they will shine more than many others in eternal life and the brilliance of My face will fill them with joy.

These inestimable promises are drawn from the works of St. Gertrue, of St. Mechtilde, and from the writings of Sister Maria de Saint-Pierre, a Carmelite who died at Tours, in the odor of sanctity.

No comments: