Sunday, November 25, 2007

Unity With the Clergy

Mother Angelica
"You need to be united to your parish priest, and I don't care who he is, what he is, what he does, or what he doesn't do. I've had people say, 'Oh, but if you lived under my pastor, you wouldn't say that.' Do you ever think what a sick heart he has? How lonely he is? What suffering he might have had in his life that made him what he is?

Then you gripe about the bishops. Do you ever realize the terrible responsibility of being a bishop? And no matter what you do, somebody is unhappy with you. You can't stand criticism on a little level; can you imagine what they endure? You need to develop a spirit of compassion so deep that it embraces the whole world. Laity and clergy must be united in spirit for the greater glory of God."
From Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality edited by Raymond Arroyo and published by Doubleday.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

I love Mother Angelica! We've never had the EWTN channel, so I never got to see her. I'm still reading her book, and I was just about to post some of her little nuggets of truth. What she has to say really sticks with me...probably because it's in small digestible pieces - easily remembered.

EC Gefroh said...

Oh, we got EWTN in NJ at the very start! I remember spending Tuesday and Wednesday watching her live shows.