Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Spiritual Communion

St. Tarcisius
St. Tarcisius



My Jesus,
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.

Amen.
A Spiritual Communion is an ardent desire to receive Jesus Christ in the Most Holy Sacrament and to embrace Him lovingly, as if you had actually received Him when it is not in your power to receive Him sacamentally.
-The Catechism in Examples by Rev. D. Chisholm

Spiritual Communion is the reserve of Eucharistic Life and Love always available for lovers of the Eucharistic Jesus. By means of spiritual Communion, the loving desires of the soul that wants to be united with Jesus, its dear Bridegroom, are satisfied. Spiritual Communion is a union of love between the soul and Jesus in the Host. This union is spiritual but nonetheless real, more real than the union between the soul and the body., 'because the soul lives more where it loves than where it lives,"
says St. John of the Cross - Jesus Our Eucharistic Love by Fr. Stefan M. Manelli.

Both are taken from the Nocturnal Adoration Society newsletter.

2 comments:

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Little Girl makes a Spiritual Communion at every Mass. She's in first grade this year, which means only about 18 months to go until her First Holy Communion!!

EC Gefroh said...

That is so nice!