Friday, November 16, 2007

Sister Lucia's Vision of Hell

Sister Lucia
Shared by Sue

In her Memoirs, Sister Lucy describes the vision of hell that Our Lady showed the children at Fatima:
"She opened Her hands once more, as She had done the two previous months. The rays [of light] appeared to penetrate the earth, and we saw, as it were, a vast sea of fire. Plunged in this fire, we saw the demons and the souls [of the damned]. The latter were like transparent burning embers, all blackened or burnished bronze, having human forms. They were floating about in that conflagration, now raised into the air by the flames which issued from within themselves, together with great clouds of smoke. Now they fell back on every side like sparks in huge fires, without weight or equilibrium, amid shrieks and groans of pain and despair, which horrified us and made us tremble with fright (it must have been this sight which caused me to cry out, as people say they heard me).

The demons were distinguished [from the souls of the damned] by their terrifying and repellent likeness to frightful and unknown animals, black and transparent like burning coals. That vision only lasted for a moment, thanks to our good Heavenly Mother, Who at the first apparition had promised to take us to Heaven. Without that, I think that we would have died of terror and fear."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is frightening...my little Jacinta was named after the little girl..

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Important reminder.
I sometimes wish I understood people's choices better-to warn them.
You've posted about judgement further up. It's a thin line to walk in not judging and not just letting someone fall.
I sat with a friend the other day and just prayed inside wondering "What in the Lord's Mercy do I say or do to help her SEE?"

Marie said...

Oh, I can't imagine seeing hell, how terrifying it would be. I always wondered if that is why little Jacinta always looks so serious?

Hell exists yet why are so many silent on it? I have yet to hear a Priest mention the existance of hell? I wonder why?

Thanks for the post Esther:) very thought provoking:).

Peace & blessings to you:)

Marie

EC Gefroh said...

Jackie, I love that you and your husband named her like that.

WS: Well, it is difficult but while we are not suppose to judge a person, we can judge their actions and speak up. Warn them. But always in a loving manner.

Marie, ;-) on the Jacinta comment but you may be right. I guess priests were afraid to give the old fire and brimstone kind of homily that used to scare people. But nothing wrong with a little scared straight method along with
God is love if it will keep us from going there.