Friday, April 27, 2007

The Real Presence - Today's Gospel John 6:52

Eucharist Picture courtesy of Aida Yared and used with permission.

The following is from New Advent John:6:48-59
6:48. I am the bread of life.
Ego sum panis vitae

6:49. Your fathers did eat manna in the desert: and are dead.
Patres vestri manducaverunt in deserto manna et mortui sunt

6:50. This is the bread which cometh down from heaven: that if any man eat of it, he may not die.
Hic est panis de caelo descendens ut si quis ex ipso manducaverit non moriatur

6:51. I am the living bread which came down from heaven.
Ego sum panis vivus qui de caelo descendi

6:52. If any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.
Si quis manducaverit ex hoc pane vivet in aeternum et panis quem ego dabo caro mea est pro mundi vita

6:53. The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying: How can this man give us his flesh to eat?
Litigabant ergo Iudaei ad invicem dicentes quomodo potest hic nobis carnem suam dare ad manducandum

6:54. Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
Dixit ergo eis Iesus amen amen dico vobis nisi manducaveritis carnem Filii hominis et biberitis eius sanguinem non habetis vitam in vobis

6:55. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
Qui manducat meam carnem et bibit meum sanguinem habet vitam aeternam et ego resuscitabo eum in novissimo die

6:56. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
Caro enim mea vere est cibus et sanguis meus vere est potus

6:57. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him.
Qui manducat meam carnem et bibit meum sanguinem in me manet et ego in illo

6:58. As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.
Sicut misit me vivens Pater et ego vivo propter Patrem et qui manducat me et ipse vivet propter me

6:59. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.
Hic est panis qui de caelo descendit non sicut manducaverunt patres vestri manna et mortui sunt qui manducat hunc panem vivet in aeternum

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Praise God for His Real Presence in the Holy Eucharist!
Happy Easter from a Catholic Mom in Washington...