Saturday, June 21, 2014
List of Young Saints
Today the Catholic Church commemorates the feast of Saint Aloysius Gonzaga, a young Jesuit who died at the age of 23.
In honor of St. Aloysius Gonzaga, I share with you the list of young saints. These saints and blesseds were all under the age of 25. Again, this is only a partial list and it will be added to in days to come.
1. Blessed Adelard the Younger 7/15th monk. Died at the age of 20.
2. Saint Agapitus 8/18th 15 years old, martyred at Palestrina, near Rome.
3. Saint Agnes 1/21st 12 or 13 years old, martyred under Diocletian.
4. Blessed Agnes of Bavaria 11/11th 7 years old,
5. Blessed Alexius Delgado, S.J. 7/15th 14 years old. Jesuit novice killed by Calvinist French pirates.
6. Saint Anatole Kiriggwajjo 6/3rd Ugandan Martyr believed to be around 20 years old*.
7. Blessed Andrew Chakichi 10/2nd 8 years old. Parents Blesseds Louis and Lucy Chakichi, brother Francis.
8. Blessed Francis Chakichi 10/2nd 4 years old. Parents Blesseds Louis and Lucy Chakichi, brother Blessed Andrew Chakichi.
9. Blessed Andrew Trong 11/18th 18 years old. Martyred in what is now Vietnam.
10. St. Anthony Deynan 2/5th 13 years old, altar boy and Tertiary of St. Francis, crucified for the faith in Japan.
11. Blessed Antony of St. Dominic 9/8th 20 years old, Tertiary of St. Dominic, beheaded in Nagasaki.
12. St. Paulillus 11/13th, only a boy and little brother of Saints Paschasius and Eutychian, protomartyrs of the Vandal persecution.
13. Saints Anthasius Badzekuketta 6/3rd, age approximately 20 years old*, Ugandan Martyr.
14. Saint Basilissa 9/3rd 9 years old, martyred under Diocletian persecution.
15. Saint Blaesilla 1/22nd 20 years old, daughter of Saint Paula, disciple of St. Jerome.
16. Saint Bolonia 10/16th 15 years old, martyred under Julian the Apostate.
17. Saint Christopher of Guardia 9/25th 3 years old.
18. Saint Crescentius 9/14th 11 years old., son of Saint Euthymius, martyred under Diocletian.
19. Saint Cyril 5/29th a boy who embraced Christianity without his father's knowledge and turned out of his home, arrested and martyred.
20. Saint Dentlin 3/16th 7 years old. Son of Saint Vincent Madelgarus.
21. Saint Dominic Savio 3/9th 14years old. Pupil of Saint John Bosco. Youngest non-martyr to receive official canonization in the history of the Church.
22. Blessed Dominic Tomaki 6/1st 16 years old. Son of Blessed John Tomaki and three brothers all martyred for the faith.
23. Blessed Dominic Nifaki 6/1st 2 years old. Martyred along with his father Blessed Louis Nifaki and his brother Francis.
24. Saint Dominic del Val 8/31st 7 year old altar boy, martyred.
25. Saint Eulalia 12/10 13 years old, martyred under Diocletian.
26. Saints Eulampuis and Eulampia 10/10th two young brother and sister, martyred under Gallienus.
27. Saint Fausta 9/20th, approximately 13 years old. So steadfast while cruelly tortured that the magistrate, who ordered her tortured, was converted and martyred under Diocletian.
28. Saint Flocellus 9/17th, a youth martyred under emperor Marcus Aurelius.
29. Blessed Francis Nifaki 9/8th 5 years old. Older brother of Blessed Dominic Nifaki and son of Blessed Louis Nifaki.
30. Blessed Francis Taquea 9/11th 12 years old. Son of Blessed Thomas Taquea and beheaded in Nagasaki.
31. Saint Gerulph 9/11 a Flemish young and heir to vast estate, murdered by relative on the way home from his Confirmation and died with words of forgiveness on his lips.
32. Saint Harold 3/25th a child put to death in Glouchester.
33. Saint Diocoros, 12/14th, a youth whipped and then dismissed. His companions Saints Heron, Arsenius and Isidore were martyred under Decius.
34. Blessed Ignatius Jorjes 9/10 4 years old. Son of Blessed Dominic Jorjes and Blessed Isabel Fernandez. Mother and son were beheaded in Nagasaki for giving shelter to Blessed Charles Spinola.
35. Blessed James Bird 3/25th 19 years old, English martyr.
36. Blessed James Guengoro 8/18th, 2 years old, crucified along with his parents Blesseds Thomas and Mary in Concura.
37. Blessed John of Korea 9/10th 12 years old. Son of Blesseds Antony and Mary of Korea. All beheaded at Nagasaki.
38. Saints Justus and Pastor 8/6th 13 years old and 9 years old, respectively, martyred under Diocletian.
39. Saint Kizito 6/3rd 14 years old. He was the youngest Ugandan martyr.
40. Blessed Laurence Humphrey 7/7th 20 years old, English Martyr.
41. Blessed Larentinus Sossius 4/15th 5 years old, martyred on Good Friday in Italy.
42. Saint Louis Ibarchi 2/5th 12 years old, crucified at Nagasaki.
43. Saint Louis (Ludwig) von Bruck 4/30th, boy martyred on Easter Sunday.
44. Saint Maria Goretti 7/6th 12 years old, preferred death in order to keep her purity.
45. Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati 7/4th 24 years old.
46. Blessed Francisco Marto 2/20th 10 years old. Sister Jacinta and cousin Lucia were the three shepherd children at Fatima apparitions.
47. Blessed Jacinta Marto 2/20th 9 years old. Brother Francisco and cousin Lucia were the three shepherd children at Fatima apparitions.
48. Saint Aloyisius Gonzaga 6/21st 23 years old.
49. Saint Eutropia6/15th 12 years old, martyr.
50. Saint Marcian 7/11th youth, martyr.
51. Saint Melorius 10/1st child, martyr.
52. Saint Musa 4/2nd child, mystic. Contemporary of St. Gregory the Great.
53. Saint Neophtus 1/20th 14 years old. Martyr.
54. Saint Nestor 9/8th youth, martyred under Julian the Apostate.
55. Saint Nicholas Peregrinus 6/2nd 19 years old.
56. Blessed Nuntius Salprizio 5/5th 19 years old.
57. Saint Panacea 5/1st 5 years old. She was killed by her stepmother while she was at prayer.
58. Blessed Paul Tomaki 9/8 7 years old. He was beheaded along with his father Blessed John Tomaki and his three brothers.
59. Saint Pelagia of Antioch 6/9th 15 years old. Threw herself from top of her house in order to avoid the loss of her virginity.
60. Saint Pelagius 6/26th young boy who preferred torture and death rather than to apostatize.
61. Saint Pelagius 8/28th boy martyr.
62. Saint Pudentiana 5/19th 16 years old.
63. Saint Reparata 5/19th 12 years old, martyr.
64. Saint Richard 3/25th child, martyred.
65. Saint Robert of Bury St. Edmonds 3/25th
66. Saint Romana 2/23rd 18 years old.
67. Saint Rufinius, Silvanus, and Victalicus 9/4th, children martyred.
68. Saint Rumwold 8/28th 3 days old, pronounced profession of faith and then died.
69. Saint Tarcisius 8/15th 12 year old boy martyred protecting the Blessed Sacrament.
70. Saint Zoilus 6/27 youth, martyred under Diocletian.
*Source for Ugandan martyr's ages
Source: The Book of Saints compiled by the Benedictine Monks of St. Augstine's Abbey, Ramsgate, 1966.