Friday, June 20, 2014
List of Saints who were Parents
A few years ago I started categorizing the saints into such categories as young saints, saints who were husbands, saints who were wives, widowed saints, young saints, saints who were friends of the Holy Souls in Purgatory, as well as for specific causes.
Note: Some feast days may have changed as some of the reference books used are older.
The following is a partial list of the saints who were parents:
1. Saints Adam and Eve Feast day 12/24th
2. Blessed Cosmos and Agnes Taquea 9/10th
3. Saints Artemius and Candida 6/6 - daughter Paulina is also a saint.
4. Saints Basil and Emmelia 5/30th - sons Basil the Great and Gregory the Great, and Peter of Sebaste are also saints, as are daughters Nissa and Macrina the Younger.
5. Saints Palmatius and wife 5/10th- their children were also martyred
6. Saints Exuperius and Zoe 5/2nd - They and sons Cyriacus and Theodulus were slaves and martyred for refusing to take part in their master's idolatrous rites.
7. Blessed Thomas and Mary Guengoro 8/18th - son Blessed James Guengoro was 2 years old when martyred in Nagasaki.
8. Blessed Antony Mary Magdalen Sanga of Korea 9/10th - sons Blessed John was 12 years old and his brother Peter was 3 years old when martyred.
9. Blessed Louis and Lucy Chakichi 10/2nd - son Blessed Andrew was 8 years old and his brother Francis was 4 years old when martyred.
10. Saints Macedonius and Patricia 3/13th
11. Saints Marius and Martha 1/19th - sons Saints Audifax and Abachum.
12. Saints Melasippus and Carina 11/7th - son Saint Antony.
13. Saints Gregory and Nonna Nazianzen 8/5th - children Gorgonia, Saint Gregory, and Caesarius
14. Saints Orentius and Patientia 5/1st - son was Saint Laurence the Martyr.
15. Saints Paul and Tatta 9/25th - sons Sabinian, Maximus, Rufus and Eugene all were martyrs.
16. Blessed Paul and Thecla 9/25th - son Peter Nangaxi age 7, martyred along with his parents at Nagasaki.
17. Saints Philetus and Lydia 3/27th - sons Saints Macedo and Theoprepius, all were supposedly martyred.
18. Saints Adalbald and Rictrudis 5/5th - son Saint Maurontus, Saint Eusebius, Saint Clotsindis and Saint Adalsindes.
19. Saints Joachim and Anne - (old feast day August 16th) 7/26th - daughter Blessed Virgin Mary, grandparents of Jesus.
20. Saints Zacharias and Elizabeth - 11/5th - son is Saint John the Baptist
21. Blesseds Dominic Jorjes 3/14th, and Isabel Fernandez 9/10th - son Bl. Ignatius Jorjes, martyred in Nagasaki for giving shelter to Blessed Charles Spinola.
Source: The Book of Saints compiled by the Benedictine Monks of St. Augstine's Abbey, Ramsgate, 1966.