Thursday, February 17, 2011
List of 40 Books for Lent
The following are books that I think will make good reading for Lent. They include not only books on the Passion and Death of Our Lord but stories of conversion, biographies of holy men and women, spiritual direction, and the Holy Eucharist. I have tried to find the book online for your reading convenience. They are in no particular order.
1. The Crown of Sorrow by Most Rev. Alban Goodier, S.J.
2. Holy Hour by The Rev. Fr. Mateo Crawley-Boevey, SS.CC.
3.The Stairway of Perfection by Walter Hilton
4. Caryll Houselander - Essential Writings by Wendy M. Wright
5. Why We Need Confession by Russell Shaw
6. How to Make a Good Confession by John A. Kane
7. The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola
8. My Meditation on the Gospel by Rev. James E. Sullivan
9. In Silence With God by Benedict Baur, O.S.B.
10. Spiritual Doctrine of St. Augustine by Ignatius M. Barrachina, O.C.D.
11. The Cloud of Unknowing
12. The Blessed Eucharist Our Greatest Treasure by Fr. Michael Muller, C.S.S.R.
13. They Bore the Wounds of Christ: The Mystery of the Sacred Stigmata by Michael Freze, S.F.O.
14. Fire of Love: Understanding Purgatory by Saint Catherine of Genoa, Sophia Press
15. The Eucharist by Lawrence G. Lovasik, Sophia Press
16. The End of the Present World and the Mysteries of the Future Life by Father Charles Arminjon, Sophia Press
17. The Treatise on Purgatory and the Dialogue by Saint Catherine of Genoa
18. Read Me or Rue it...How to Avoid Purgatory... by Father Paul O'Sullivan, O.P.
19. God is Near Us: The Eucharist, The Heart of Life by Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI)
20. The Blessed Sacrament and the Mass by Saint Thomas Aquinas
21. The Life of Christ by Isidore O'Brien, O.F.M.
22. The Road to Damascus edited by John A. O'Brien (Stories of conversions by well-known Catholics)
23. In the Presence of Our Lord by Father Benedict J. Groeschel, C.F.R. and James Monti
24. The Life of Christ by Fulton J. Sheen
25. The Holy Souls "Viva Padre Pio" by Fr. Alessio Parente, O.F.M.Cap.
26. Pray Always by Very Rev. James Alberione, S.S.P., S.T.D.
27. Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val by Marie C. Buehrle
28. Padre Pio: The True Story by C. Bernard Ruffin
29. Complete Spiritual Doctrine of St. Therese of Lisieux by Rev. Francois Jamart, O.C.D. (St. Therese's Little Way)
30. Confession by Adrienne von Speyr
31. Jesus: The Heart of His Message: Unity and Jesus Forsaken by Chiara Lubich
32. The Cry of Jesus Crucified and Forsaken by Chiara Lubich
33. Saints for Now edited by Clare Boothe Luce
34. Witness of the Light: The Life of Pop[e Pius XII by Katherine Burton
35. Victories of the Martyrs by St. Alphonsus di Liguori
36. The Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica edited by Raymond Arroyo
37. He Leadeth Me by Walter J. Ciszek, S.J. with Daniel Flaherty, S.J.
38. A Song for Nagasaki by Paul Glynn
39. The Catholic Lifetime Reading Plan by Father John A. Hardon, S.J.
40. The Holy Bible, Catholic Edition