Monday, December 06, 2010

Forgiving from One's Heart



Picture source

Why is it sometimes hard to forgive?

We are blessed to have God forgive our most egregious offenses, no matter how many times we commit the same sins. Yet, even the tiniest slight by someone offends us to a point where we cannot overlook it. Then we are left with a hurt that cannot be comforted or forgotten. The saddest reality is that the inflicter of the pain may not even realize she or he has offended us.

The sin of pride is the culprit here. If we were truly humble,  we could welcome slights, offensives, and hurts, because we would be empathizing with all the humiliations our innocent Lord had to endure,  especially during His passion during His short time on Earth.

We need to really let the words of the Our Father touch us to the core when we pray "...forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us."

We not only have to forgive but also forget any intentional or unintentional wrongs done to us.

There are many good quotes by the saints on forgiveness. But something that helps me to forgive is something I read in an advice column once: "Holding a grudge is letting someone live rent free in your head."

This Advent season, let us love the person who offended us, and also thank him or her for giving us the opportunity to make this small sacrifice for Jesus.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh Esther...I needed this right now! Thank you for posting this!
This subject (forgiveness) is one I struggle with sometimes. Why is it that we (um, actually, "I")feel like the world is coming to an end if I've been wronged, but often overlook those times when I've wronged someone else? Pride, pride, pride is the answer to that question! God, have mercy on me!

EC Gefroh said...

Nancy, this is something I am trying to overcome.

Mimi said...

Thank you so much, I've really been struggling with this the past few days too - a mere comment (born from ignorance) that I've been thinking about so much and letting get under my skin.

Thank you1

EC Gefroh said...

Mimi, I am happy it helped you. I am glad I am not alone.