|G. Molteni, La confessione, 1838|
The following is a part of Father Robert Fox's examination of conscience from his Prayer Book for Catholics.
1. Have I contributed to happiness and harmony in my family by patience, kindness, forgiveness and understanding?
2. Have I obeyed my parents?
3. Have I taken a united front with my spouse in disciplining children in justice and love?
4. Have I participated in daily family prayer?
5. Have I helped instruct children in the faith or delegated it entirely to others, forgetting that parents are the primary educators of their children?
6. Did I give good example to my children by participating in Holy Mass and frequently the sacraments?
7. Do I take an active interest in whether each of my children is growing in knowledge and love of his faith and identifying with Christ's Church?
8. Do I observe whether my teenagers go to confession frequently.
9. Do I really know each one of my children?
10. Have I been a good example in manifesting positive Catholic thinking and conversations and by exercising living authority as a parent?
11. Have I been sensitive to the needs of my spouse?
12. Have I caused hurt to self and family members by the use of drugs or drink?
14. Have I prudently guided my older children into Catholic marriages or advised them kindly to select a spouse who will help lead them to salvation?
16. Have I been faithful to my (husband/wife) in my heart and in relations with others?
17. Do I visit and keep in frequent touch with elderly parents?
18. Have I given sufficient time to each of my children or am I more married to my work?
19. Do I provide good Catholic reading in my home and watch what literature comes into the home?
20. As a parent do I have good moral standards as to which television programs are harmful and which can assist to develop wholesome Christian principles in family members?
21. Do I understand love for family members means sacrificing self?
22. Have I tried to uplift my spouse in moments of suffering, discouragement?
23. Do I show appreciation for my spouse's (parent's) good points or only criticize negatively?
24. Have I caused pain and sorrow to my parents?