Friday, November 28, 2008

Fine Arts Friday - Georgia O'Keefe

Georgia O'Keefe
Georgia O'Keefe

Pink Tulip
Pink Tulip

Red Poppy
Red Poppy

Shell Number 1
Shell Number One

White Pansey
White Pansey


Summer Days
Summer Days


Hibiscus With Plumeria
Hibiscus With Plumeria

For this week's artist, let's spotlight a famous American woman, Georgia O'Keefe.
Georgia Totto O'Keeffe (November 15, 1887 – March 6, 1986) was an American artist. She is associated with the American Southwest, where she found artistic inspiration, and particularly New Mexico, where she settled late in life. O'Keeffe has been a major figure in American art since the 1920s. She is chiefly known for paintings in which she synthesized abstraction and representation in paintings of flowers, rocks, shells, animal bones and landscapes. Her paintings present crisply contoured forms that are replete with subtle tonal transitions of varying colors. She often transformed her subject matter into powerful abstract images.
Wikipedia

5 comments:

Ann Murray said...

Beautiful, Esther. I really love the poppy - as a flower it is my favourite and this painting does it justice.
I haven't heard of Georgia O'Keefe before - but your blog is my Art College and I'm learning week by week.

Easter Almuena said...

I find her work pleasing to the eye. Thanks, Esther!

EC Gefroh said...

V, glad you liked this artist. She is one of my favorites. The Red Poppy is one of her more famous works.

Thanks!

Me too Easter, I think it's her use of colors that I like.

Marie said...

What a beautiful Artist:). Thank you for sharing these wonderful pics Esther:)

Peace and much love to you:)

Marie xoxooxox

EC Gefroh said...

Marie, I've shared so many good Catholic artists. I thought I'd share some of my favorite artist's works that are not necessarily Catholic.

Peace and love to you,