Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Spiritual Help from the Diary of St. Faustina

St. Faustina

The following are quotes from the St. Faustina's Diary.

"Oh, if only I had had a spiritual director from the beginning, then I would not have wasted so many of God's graces. A confessor can help a soul a great deal, but he can also cause it a lot of harm. Oh, how careful confessors should be about the work of God's grace in their penitents' souls! This is a matter of great importance. By the graces given to a soul, one can recognize the degree of its intimacy with God.

"Suffering is a great grace; through suffering the soul becomes like the Savior; in suffering love becomes crystallized; the greater the suffering, the purer the love.

"...A priest who is not peace with himself will not be able to inspire peace in another soul. O priests, you bright candles enlightening human souls, let your brightness never be dimmed..."

"My Jesus, to atone for blasphemers I will keep silent when unjustly reprimanded and in this way make partial amends to You".

"I do not reward for good results but for the patience and hardship undergone for My sake."

"Humiliation is my daily food".

"When I receive Jesus in Holy Communion, I ask Him fervently to deign to heal my tongue so that I would offend neither God nor neighbor by it...Great are the faults committed by the tongue. The soul will not attain sanctity if it does not keep watch over its tongue".

From the First Notebook of Divine Mercy in My Soul. The Diary of Sister M. Faustina Kowalska. Marian Press Stockbridge, MA 01263 1987.

2 comments:

Sarah Reinhard said...

Esther, it's "funny" you posted this, because for Lent I'm (supposed to be) reading St. Faustina's diary (this first trimester, though, is keeping me sleeping more than reading, much to my chagrin). :) Thanks for sharing these!

EC Gefroh said...

Sarah, this is my third attempt since my mom gave me the Diary in the '80's..to read it. Take care of yourself.