Monday, July 03, 2006

Priority Loving in the Family

While reading the May-June Issue of Lay Witness Magazine I came across the following quote from Kimberly Hahn:

"Priority loving in the family means loving your spouse first, your children second. The love of husband and wife is the wellspring of love for the entire family. Though our children's needs seem greater and more immediate, we must be careful not to allow their needs to consume the time and energy needed for our spouse. Besides, the greatest need of our children is to experience the love of their parents for each other. Often when my husband and I embrace, our young children try to wedge between us--not to break us apart but to feel the squeeze of love."

From A Mother's Plan of Life: Living God's Call in the Domestic Church

2 comments:

Amy said...

I really like that. I will never forget someone telling me that one day my kids will up and move away and I had better hope that I wasn't suddenly living with a stranger.
It wasn't a comment directed at me but one I took to heart. Our spouses must come first and I think that is what so many people today forget.

EC Gefroh said...

How true! I never thought of it that way before. Mahalo Amy.