Thursday, March 19, 2015

My Sweet Saint Joseph!



Words cannot describe how I feel about Saint Joseph, the chaste husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary!

Over the years, I have come to rely on him for everything.  Upon rising in the early morning I immediately greet the Blessed Mother with a good morning, followed by Jesus, Saint Joseph and all angels and saints.

There is a statue of Saint Joseph in the parking lot area of the church.  Upon arriving, I quickly acknowledge him and tell him I love him.  Then upon entering the church and spending a few quiet minutes with Jesus in front of the Blessed Sacrament, I make the Way of the Cross.  I then pause in front of St. Joseph the Worker's statue to give him a long litany of petitions.  I ask him to intercede for:

- the men in may family named after him
- the dying
- the homeless
- the unemployed
- husbands
- my entire family's new home and their existing homes protection
- helping me to imitate his silence and all his virtues
- protection of the Church and the persecuted Christians
- my marriage

I also share with him my frustrations at failing to conquer my faults.

I think of him constantly, asking for his intercession as much as I "bother" the blessed mother. I know they don't mind.  I think that perhaps they like to help me...me, the most flawed, selfish, ill-tempered, impatient, easily annoyed of all of God's creatures.

I don't think I have a right to ask for heavenly assistance that often, and very rarely do I ask for help for myself (except for that of improving myself and getting rid of the flaws that plague me and keep me from becoming holy).  But I do trust in God.  I do trust that the angels and saints are here to help us.  I especially trust that the Holy Family..Jesus, Mary and Joseph, will not fail to come to my assistance, no matter how many times I ask for their help and assistance.  I know this because they love me as they do all their other children.  They know we are not perfect but will help us reach perfection if we only ask and rely on them.  I especially believe that of St. Joseph, ever silent and righteous.  He was the perfect father and family man.

St. Joseph, dear foster father of Jesus,
beloved earthly husband of our Lady,
pray for all families, especially the fathers, the head of their families, 
to trust in God, to follow your example in loving, protecting, caring and providing for their families.

No comments: