Saturday, February 28, 2015
Another Good Examination of Conscience
This one comes from Father John A. Kane. I will share the ones not often found in other Examination of Conscience books or booklets. It is taken from his How to Make a Good Confession and published by Sophia Institute Press. I highly recommend this little book.
1. Have I been ungrateful to God for His benefits?
2. Do I try to hide from God because I love my sin or because I do not have strength of will to make sacrifices for His sake?
3. Have I failed to give God the respect, the love, and the simplicity of a child toward his Father?
4. Am I unwilling to cast out and destroy everything that makes my soul unworthy to be the dwelling place of the three divine Persons?
5. Have I grumbled against God's will?
6. Do I refuse to accept troubles that come to me as a means of salvation?
7. Do I trouble others with my grievances?
8. Have I ignored Christ's voice within my soul when He has asked me for some sacrifice?
9. Do I lack peace of soul because I don't trust God?
10. Have I been too proud to accept well-merited correction, even from my confessor?
11. Do I rely solely on myself and not on God?
12. Do I rely solely on myself and not on God?
13. Do I neglect my duties as a creature to my Creator?
14. Do I have an exaggerated fear of death? Do I trustfully abandon my past to God's mercy and my future to His love?
15. Have I abandoned the Catholic Faith?
16. Have I joined a non-Catholic church?
17. Have I refused to believe any truths of the Faith or any teachings of the Church?
18. Did I fail to profess or defend the Faith when required to do so?
19. Did I read materials or associate with people who might endanger my faith?
20. Have I attended or taken part in the marriage of a Catholic in a wedding not approved by the Church.
21. Have I been unfaithful to daily prayer?
22. Have I received Holy Communion without reverence? Have I neglected to make a proper thanksgiving after receiving?
23. Do I neglect to read Scripture?
24. Do I let my religious practices annoy others?
25. Do I neglect to try to correct myself, remembering that I should always strive for perfection?
26. Have I evaded an opportunity to enlighten someone on religious truth?
27. Do I use God's name carelessly, in anger, or in surprise?
28. Am I disrespectful, impolite, or discourteous toward my family?
29. Do I mistreat belittle, or abuse my children?
30. Am I disrespectful toward the elderly?
31. Do I endanger my health by eating too little or sleeping too little?
32. Am I too concerned about my health or my appearance?
33. Have I attributed bad motives to others, when I could not be certain of their motives?
34. Have I used harsh or abusive language toward another?
35. Am I rude, impolite, or inconsiderate?
36. As a husband or wife, have I failed prudently to make an effort to prevent the sins of my spouse?
37. Have I neglected my duty of preventing those in my charge from committing sin, or correcting them after they have failed?
39. Am I dating someone who is civilly divorced but is still bound by a valid marriage?
40. Do I waste money or spend it extravagantly?
41. Do I waste goods or food?
42. Have I been stingy with my time, money and talents?
43. Have I criticized anyone uncharitably?
44. Am I greedy?
45. Am I selfish?
46. Do I indulge in self-pity?
48. Am I proud?
49. Am I vain?
50. Do I desire to be praised?
51. Do I show off?
52. Have I exaggerated my success?
53. Have I minimized or explained away my failures?
54. In my spirituality, do I seek mere personal excellence?
55. Am I touchy and hypersensitive?
56. Do I magnify the least oversight or thoughtlessness into an insult or deliberate slight?
57. Am I envious of someone's possessions, talents, or blessings?