Monday, November 24, 2014

This Advent...


This Sunday is the First Sunday of Advent.  As is my personal tradition, I like to make Advent resolutions in anticipation of the birth of the little baby Jesus.

So, this Advent I will:

- abstain from frivolous entertainment (or at least cut back on them considerably).  This means, less time playing games and watching certain TV programs that I really like.

- not fall into the trap of having to compete with the crowds for finding that special gift.  I will also put myself on a budget.

-  pray more, talk less.

-  make the special feast days that fall within the Advent season, more special, especially the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and Our Lady of Guadalupe's Feast day.

-  try to make frugal meals as a small sacrifice for those who do not have enough to eat.

-  remember the less fortunate, either by prayer or in some concrete way.

-  spend quality time with the family in the evening when we light our Advent candles, read from our Magnificat's Advent Companion.

-  make a supreme effort to conquer my faults.

-  forgive anyone who has hurt me and reach out to anyone I may have hurt.

-  hold off on trimming the tree and putting out the other Christmas decorations until the last week of Advent.

-  not open any Christmas card until the last week of Advent.

-  spend quality time with Jesus in Adoration.

-  smile or greet anyone who looks sad or lonely.

-  make it a point to be still and not fall into the frenzy of the worldly Christmas spirit but be more reflective in the spiritual Christmas spirit.

-  give a gift to someone who isn't expecting anything and who cannot reciprocate.

- watch spiritually uplifting programs and movies, including childhood favorites like the Little Drummer Boy, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and  How the Grinch Stole Christmas so that I can relive the magic of the Christmas anticipation when I was a young girl.

-  sing Advent hymns and carols.

- be joyous.


No comments: