Saturday, September 15, 2012

Our Lady of Sorrows

Artist:  Lazzaro Pisani

Picture source

All the sorrows of Mary (the prophecy of Simeon, the three days' loss, etc.) are merged in the supreme suffering at the Passion.  In the Passion, Mary suffered a martyrdom of the heart because of Our Lord's torments and the greatness of her love for Him.  "She it was," says Pope Pius XII, "who immune from all sin, personal or inherited, and ever more closely united with her Son, offered Him on Golgotha to the Eternal Father together with the holocaust of her maternal rights and motherly love.  As a new Eve, sh e made this offering for all the children of Adam contaminated through his unhappy fall.  Thus she, who was the mother of our Head according to the flesh, became by a new title of sorrow and glory the spiritual mother of all His members."

TO THE QUEEN OF MARTYRS

Mary, most holy Virgin and Queen of Martyrs,
accept the sincere homage of my filial affection.
Into thy heart,
pierced by so many swords, 
do thou welcome my poor soul.
Receive it as the companion of thy sorrows 
at the foot of the Cross,
on which Jesus died for the redemption of the world.
With thee,
O sorrowful Virgin, 
I will gladly suffer all the trials,
contradictions, and infirmities which it shall please our Lord
to send me.
I offer them all to thee in memory of thy sorrows,
so that every thought of my mind,
and every beat of my heart may be an act of 
compassion and love for thee.  
And do thou, sweet Mother, 
have pity on me, reconcile me to thy divine Son Jesus,
keep me in His grace, and assist me in my last agony,
so that I may be able to meet thee in
heaven and sing thy glories.
Amen.

*NOTE:  The faithful who, during the month of September, pray or perform other devotions in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary Sorrowing, may gain:  an indulgence of 5 years once, on any day of the month; a plenary indulgence on the usual conditions, if they persevere daily in this devout practice throughout the entire month.

Source:  The Prayer Book, The Catholic Press, Inc.

No comments: