Saturday, December 06, 2008

Confession and the Saturday Evening Vigil Mass

Confession
Father Erik has an interesting take on why he thinks the number of people going to confession has declined Causes for the Decline in Confession.

I had never thought of his explanation and he may have a point.

In Hawaii though, I have observed weekly that the line for Saturday's 10 a.m. confession is usually about 10 people waiting for confession. If we attend the one prior to the Vigil Mass, that one has more people waiting to confess. Ten people may not seem like a lot but when I compare it to only one or two people going to confession as was the case about 10 years ago, it is.

The difference may be what Father pointed out, the priests at the churches around us do speak out about the importance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

As for the Vigil Mass itself, since Sunday was the only day my family and I could sleep in a bit if we went on Saturday, we have been doing that a couple of times a month. I found that the Saturday Vigil Mass was originally intended only for those individuals who had just couldn't attend Mass on Sunday because of work. It wasn't really given to those of us who could attend Sunday Mass, as an option so we could sleep in on Sunday.

The day I forgot Joey and I were scheduled to be the altar server and one of the EMHC's and went to Saturday Vigil Mass instead, was the day my family and I decided that from now on it will be the early Sunday Mass for us from now on.

Now, off to confession!


3 comments:

Jean Heimann said...

I think it's interesting that the Sacrament of Reconciliation is very important to many Catholics, yet not valued by others.

In my current parish here in KS, the Confession lines are almost always long (on a daily basis), especially during the week of Good Friday. At my former parish in IL, the Confession lines were also long.

However, I know of other parishes in both areas where there are only long lines during the Easter season and during the rest of the year almost noone goes.

I have noticed that those parishes with low attendance tend to be composed of a more affluent congregation. I just wonder if there is a relationship between affluence and low attendance in the sacrament of Reconciliation?

I have my own ideas about why this is, but it would certainly make a good study.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That makes a lot of sense. I read the post at Orthometer as well.

We are not "Saturday-nighters" except when required to be (weird music ministry schedule that I have no control over) and I have to say, we really don't like it. We prefer to attend Mass as a family on Sunday.

I also think that the Saturday-night Mass leads people to take Sunday WAY less seriously. Middle Sister has 8 basketball games, out of 16, on Sundays--at 1 PM, when we are just getting out of church. We told the coach she'd be late, and why. (This is a CYO league. They should know better!)

Marie said...

Here in my Parish there is NO Sunday Confession! You have to attend the Vigil Mass on Saturday to go to Confession and then the Priests in my Parishes only put aside 15 minutes for this important Sacrament! And there is NEVER a line up!

A lot of Parishes here also go without a Priest on some Weekends therefore NO-ONE is there to hear Confession or grant Absolution.

I truly believe that many think sin to be a superstition and therefore this particular Sacrament is dying out.

We need to realise that SIN brings death to the soul and that should help us understand the importance of THIS particular Sacrament.

But, here Priests and those in charge of Churches are more worried about donations than the Sacraments.

Excellent point Esther:)

Peace and much love to you:)
Marie xooxoxo